• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hello from MI

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had neighbors they would be jealous.

Attachments

• 20220311_115847.jpg
    20220311_115847.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 67
All weekend there was snow on the ground. Today the snow melted. I worked on that old 149 with the tiller.

It works and works good. Can't wait to use it more. Still needs some work but this test proves it worth fixing more.

Attachments

• 20220314_165025.jpg
    20220314_165025.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220314_165047.jpg
    20220314_165047.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Must be nice playing with something other than a blower! Up here in the U.P. the snow is still over mid thigh deep! And from the looks of it, that work horse of yours is definitely worthy of more repair.

I've avoided going to the UP this winter. I've been meaning to get up there soon. I have property out by Houghton, MI.

I don't think that one will get a full restoration. I think I will fix it mechanically, and use it as a work horse. When I purchased it I never thought it would run. I really only bought it as a parts tractor for my one owner 149.

I used that tiller yesterday and the mule drive snapped. Anyone seen that happen before?
I have another one but it doesn't have the spring tensioner. I think it will still work.

I was tilling a section of lawn that the gas company dug up last fall.

I made that side engine tin since it was missing. Not my best work but it'd functional.

Attachments

• 20220315_130841.jpg
    20220315_130841.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220315_130841.jpg
    20220315_130841.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 45
I used that tiller yesterday and the mule drive snapped. Anyone seen that happen before?
I have another one but it doesn't have the spring tensioner. I think it will still work.

It's hard to tell in the pic, but if the frame isn't broke, all you need to do is make a new cross shaft. It's a fairly simple and straight forward project. I've never broke one, but I've made two of those shafts due to the arms that hold the pulleys wear into shaft, which is what appears to have happened on yours.

According to the manual, the tiller is supposed to be run with the no-spring mule drive. I think it has to do with being able to get enough tension on that long belt. If the weeds are tall in my garden patch, I make sure to mow first, that way the stalks can't pop the belt off the back sheave. I agree, the 149 is an awesome tilling machine.

Back