• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hello Everyone

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Harris

Hello everyone, I'm happy to be here with you guys. I currently have a 1250 Quietline that needs a motor. I joined so I could post any questions I have along the way of replacing the motor.

Hello Ben! Do you plan to rebuild an engine, or source a complete running engine?

Welcome Ben - your 1250 Quiet Line can be a very nice tractor when running and operating. Pics would be nice so we can see what you have, along with your rough location since you only show U.S.

I think what David S was getting at is that your 1250 would have originally had a Kohler K-series engine model "K301AQS".
The K301 designation makes it a 12hp. The letter "A" suffix means it has a special oil pan (in this case so it fits an IH Cub Cadet frame). The letter "Q" means it's a Quiet series engine, and the letter "S" means it's electric start.

If you're looking for a complete replacement engine then you'll need a K301AQS, or you could also use a K321AQS which is a 14hp version or a K341AQS which is a 16hp version. There is also a K241AQS which is the 10hp version which will work in your 1250 but I would assume you really don't want less hp.

I also think David was also implying the AQS engines are somewhat harder to find. They don't seem to be as readily available as the earlier Kohler engines for Cub Cadets. Can you use an earlier one??? Well, maybe but it depends. It depends on whether it's 12hp, and depends on whether the casting has the holes for your electric PTO clutch, and depends on some other things.

Can you use a different Kohler K-series block? That depends to. I don't like going that route. Many of the non-A suffix Kohlers really won't work. I wouldn't recommend getting into efforts to cut off the casting on the base or other things like that. It can get into a lot of work that in the end doesn't work well.

So, feel free to post and ask away in the regular Forum thread.

Welcome Ben. Glad to have you here. Got any pics?

Back