• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hello... advice needed!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.R. Yelton

Hello, I find myself here because a family member is the owner of a 1250 S/N 0320016U097490*

Long story short: the tractor has been parked in a barn for years and I don't know what is wrong with it, what it is worth and IF it is worth fixing.

I love old machinery, and have brought a 1970s Ariens tiller back to life when I had more time on my hands, but this one is owned by my Aunt and I want to do what's best for her and the old tractor...

What should I check first/ what is worst case/ deal-breaker... etc.
Any advice is welcome !

Thanks!

I would say see if you can get any back story on it. Maybe they just parked it.. maybe somethig bad happened. I like the Quietlines (1x00, 1x50) tractors. I have a 1450 and 2 1650's. Dad and I have several between us. I see you are in Indy..... I could take a look at it with you if you like. I am out East in Greenfield....

Personally, unless it has been on fire (yes we tried to resurrect a 124 that had caught fire and almost exploded in my face) or something has drastically failed... there isn't really a deal breaker (for me). When bought my 1450, I brought it home, and took it to Mom and Dad's and pulled the engine for ISO Mounts and the cradle mod..... hadn't even used it before it got torn apart.... LOL

Thanks for the offer. The tractor is at my aunt's in Trafalgar. I don't have a truck or trailer, and all my tools are obviously at my house... there is also an old Roper in her barn. This all came about due to the barn needing repairs or possibly torn down... I am trying to help. I really don't know if she wants to keep it even if I could get it going again. Might be looking for a buyer. I just want to take another look at it as she values my opinion.
I believe there was something wrong with it when my uncle passed suddenly over 20 years ago. So it has been sitting a long while. I would love a basic checklist/ flowchart if I could find one.

I found a service manual and based on the serial number all I have learned so far is that it is a manual unloading check valves...

I suppose I should try to get it started first. I suppose I should drop the deck and make sure to isolate the engine. What would affect the value the most to someone interested in an old IHCC ?

Thanks,

T.R., WELCOME! I agree with Scott, the 1250 is certainly worth fixing up.

Trafalgar isn’t too far. What general part of Indy are you in. If I come help you look at it, I do have a truck (well more than one) and a trailer. We could get it loaded and moved to your house. The Roper may be interesting also. I know of a couple people that had them and really liked time. Can you post pics of them?

if it hasn’t ran in 20+ years, I would first see if the engine is loose and will turn by hand. To do this, you will need to remove the side panels and reach in and turn the driveshaft. If it is free, it would more than likely need a carb rebuild, which isn’t expensive or hard to do. It will need a bat-tree after sitting this long. That is located under the seat. Maybe put some wind in the tires if they are flat, it would be much easier to move. The Quietlines had both manual and automatic valves. Manual would have a lever on the tunnel cover ”under” your right thigh when sitting on the seat. But sitting this long, it wouldn’t surprise mi it it would roll with either. The Hy-Tran would have bled down by now.

Once you check these, and it is loose, then throw a battery in it and see if it will crank. There could be a safety switch or three that are dirty and need to be exercised and let it turn over. If it will crank, sitting that long, I would change the oil before trying to do much more than see if it will spin, who knows what could be in it after all this time. This oil change, I would not worry about a specific oil, just something cheap, and maybe something you have on hand. Motor oil that is clean and oil is the goal here. Just something clean to have in it while troubleshooting and attempting to start it and run it. If it runs and doesn’t need the engine torn down, then the oil should be changed to something more appropriate. ISO mount condition can be checked, and just a good once over.... Sitting inside and protected from the elements gives you a bit of a leg up.

We all here can help walk you through working on this machine. My offer still stands, if you would like, I can come look at it with you... Sometimes someone that has experience with these can spot things, or help figure things out.

Scott, very nice of you to offer your assistance!
IH_Thumbs_UP_WHITE-SMALL.jpg

You'll also want to drain out any old gas that might still be in the tank and fuel lines, but that's probably an obvious item...

Wow, thanks for the offer for help as well as the great troubleshooting tips. I will put together a toolkit and check it out.

I assumed that the gas would need drained and the carb would at least need cleaned out if not replaced. I will certainly open it up and hose it down with some gumout and put fresh gas in it.

I will take a bunch more pics but all I have of the Cadet is below... funny thing is someone put part of the Roper on top of the Cadet:
20210425_170610.jpg

Back