• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Had to make noise

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAYAKER2

IHCC Supporter
displayname
KAYAKER2
PO ran this Kohler K-161 out of oil. When I ran mine out of oil in 1969 it just locked up. Opened it up today to inspect and found the cam was hit bad.

Attachments

• IMG_2431.JPG
    IMG_2431.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2433.JPG
    IMG_2433.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I got another engine with the 71 it is another K-161 I just have to get the PTO off the old block. Having trouble with a few of the set screws. They will need drilling out. I have them soaking now. both blocks are black does that mean they are replacement Blocks? Maybe I will rebuild the one that threw the rod. Moving into a new house soon and not much time now. I am in the process of switching them now.

Getting ready to sell the house. Moving out in 4 weeks. I have been in here for 35 years. So not much time to work on the 71.

I still cant get the PTO clutch and starter pulley off. And noticed the oil pan to the replacement engines drain plug is on the side instead of underneath. The reason the engine was run low on oil was the nipple and cap had no sealer of any kind on the threads. So that got me to thinking what I did on my Jeep Liberty Diesel that had a striped oil pan plug hole. I installed a Fumato drain. I see they have one in 3/8 18 F110N: Long Nipple Oil Drain Valve with 3/8-18 NPT And seal with high temp JB weld with gasket. easy to drain the oil with a plastic tube. and no spill or leaks.
RK

Attachments

• F110N.jpg
    F110N.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0
I would use some non hardening thread sealant like Rector Seal #5. JBcantWeld is not a thread sealant.

Getting ready to sell the house. Moving out in 4 weeks. I have been in here for 35 years. So not much time to work on the 71.

I still cant get the PTO clutch and starter pulley off. And noticed the oil pan to the replacement engines drain plug is on the side instead of underneath. The reason the engine was run low on oil was the nipple and cap had no sealer of any kind on the threads. So that got me to thinking what I did on my Jeep Liberty Diesel that had a striped oil pan plug hole. I installed a Fumato drain. I see they have one in 3/8 18 F110N: Long Nipple Oil Drain Valve with 3/8-18 NPT And seal with high temp JB weld with gasket. easy to drain the oil with a plastic tube. and no spill or leaks.
RK
I have those on a few pieces of equipment. The nipple for the host works out nice on so equipment that had you dumping oil all over. They do drain slower then I'd like. I have the other Company that makes these... EZ Drain (?)

I have those on a few pieces of equipment. The nipple for the host works out nice on so equipment that had you dumping oil all over. They do drain slower then I'd like. I have the other Company that makes these... EZ Drain (?)
I knew I was on to something....see my piece 'Oil Change Aid' for a bit more on this subject.
Jack Casey

Finally got the PTO and starter pulley off the K-161. I had to drill out two of the pointed set screws. The first one I drilled all the way through the set screw and into the bearing and broke the drill bit off. I was a little more careful on the last one. I did booger the set screw threads. Is it junk or has anyone drilled and taped for larger diameter set screws? I have two more good ones. not worth it at this time.
BK

I’ve had the same issue with drilling out stubborn set screws. You can easily tap them for a larger size set screw.

Back