• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Greetings from central Pennsylvania!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, WELCOME! How heavy of a trailer or car are you planning on towing? One thing to keep in mind is the Cub Cadet might not have a problem getting something moving, but getting it to stop is a whole other issue and if it's too heavy the weight will certainly overcome the traction of the Cub Cadet. You mention a hill, that has me concerned if you plan on towing something that weighs too much up or down that hill. Just something to keep in mind.

That is a super clean machine. I'd love to hear how/what you used for the new piece and lights. Well done!
I've had this machine since 1996... in 2020, I did a "rebuild"... and then put her to work...
The headlight panel is simply a piece of 20ga sheet metal with a couple large holes so the headlight housings fit flush. A couple screws and J-nuts for sheet metal... hold the housings just fine...
lights-4.jpg

Lights-3.jpg

I got the lights on amazon... but there are 100s of different options. These just happened to be extras (take-offs) from a Bike I rebuilt after a wreck.

1645752695894.png
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycles-...fix=4.5%20inch%20led%20passing,aps,66&sr=8-23

I've had this machine since 1996... in 2020, I did a "rebuild"... and then put her to work...
The headlight panel is simply a piece of 20ga sheet metal with a couple large holes so the headlight housings fit flush. A couple screws and J-nuts for sheet metal... hold the housings just fine...
View attachment 148039

View attachment 148040

I got the lights on amazon... but there are 100s of different options. These just happened to be extras (take-offs) from a Bike I rebuilt after a wreck.

View attachment 148038https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycles-...fix=4.5%20inch%20led%20passing,aps,66&sr=8-23
Nice! I'll likely be a copycat if you don't mind.. I've wanted to add lighting since I've had it, both front and rear.

I can't believe nobody asked the important question!! What kind of pup is Ellie? Welcome to the group, and like everyone else said, keep the gear drive, and get a hydro! They both excel at different things, and have their own disadvantages. So it's best to have one of each, or 3 of one, and 1 of the the other in my case.
Ellie is a mini-Bernadoodle (Bernese Mountain dog/middle poodle mix). Unfortunately, she did not inherit the gene for not shedding.. which is why people breed with poodles. My wife wants to get a 2nd puppy, so perhaps I'm a allowed a 2nd tractor?

Tom, WELCOME! How heavy of a trailer or car are you planning on towing? One thing to keep in mind is the Cub Cadet might not have a problem getting something moving, but getting it to stop is a whole other issue and if it's too heavy the weight will certainly overcome the traction of the Cub Cadet. You mention a hill, that has me concerned if you plan on towing something that weighs too much up or down that hill. Just something to keep in mind.
Thank you Kraig! I've pulled my utility trailer filled with mulch with the 128 up the side yard with no difficulty (pulling or stopping). It's a 5X8 trailer, around 500 lbs empty. I figured I had 1,500 pounds total with the mulch. The hill isn't super steep, but I had tried the same thing with my LT 1050 and the hydro wanted NOTHING to do with it. That was the whole reason behind the purchase of the 128. I just need tractor and weight! Hoping to get some AG tires in the near future and source out a pair of wheel weights.

I had really researched for a while what kind of tractor I wanted. I read about the indestructible cast rear ends on the older Cubs, but also wanted a wide frame. I read those were easier to work on, especially if you wanted to add a larger engine at some point.

This weekend I'm picking up two classic cars, both non-running. We live on an alley, and I want to use my tractor to pull the cars off of the trailer and coax them into their parking spots to save my back. I won't be pulling them up any steep inclines. After two hernia surgeries (the first from playing trumpet!) I'm all about trying to keep myself healthy!

Ellie is a mini-Bernadoodle (Bernese Mountain dog/middle poodle mix). Unfortunately, she did not inherit the gene for not shedding.. which is why people breed with poodles. My wife wants to get a 2nd puppy, so perhaps I'm a allowed a 2nd tractor?
Keep in mind, that the garden tractor hydro in the wide frames, quitelines, and 82 series, is not even close to comparable to your lt1050. The older hydros easily handle ground engaging implements, such as plows, and tillers. A plow would absolutely kill a lt1050.

I think you and your bride are on the right track! Another pup, and another cub! My wife and I have had labs for almost 15 years now, dog fur shirts are just a part of life at this point. And we were dumb enough to have a chocolate and fox red labs at the same time, so no matter what color clothing you wear, the fur stands out!

Tom, I would keep the 128 and look for a 149 to go with it.. The 149 has hydraulic lift and that is good if you want to run a snowblower also is nice for mowing.. I use my 102 as a backup for mowing but I am setting it up this spring with a dirt plow for yardwork.. Cheaper than renting a skid loader..

Back