• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Greetings from central Pennsylvania!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone, my name is Tom. I live in central PA with my wife Katie and our puppy Ellie. I'm a music teacher, but find myself more and more enjoying working on cars and tractors!

After turning 40 last February... subconsciously I think I decided I needed to start buying "vintage stuff". I got into vinyl, bought a beautiful 1979 Onkyo stereo receiver, a 1968 Mustang, and of course... a Cub Cadet 128. I've owned several Cubs, including my current DD LT1050. I wanted something thought I could restore, and more importantly, tow a 5X8 utility trailer up our hill, as well as broken cars with that I buy and sell.

My Cub 128 doesn't have the creeper gear, sadly. It's a little tough to control when 1st gear is still too fast for what I want to do. I've been doing some reading but wanted to ask the community; will a hydrostatic transmission of that era (127, 129, 149, etc) tow as well as a gear-drive? I find myself breaking traction too often and tearing up our yard, and thought I could get a hydro instead. I was always under the impression that hydros couldn't pull as much as a gear drive.

I know I have pictures of the 128 somewhere.... but will take new ones tomorrow. It runs and mows perfectly.. but is in need paint!

Glad to see there is a community for Cub owners! Thanks to everyone involved.

Glad to have you here with us Tom. If you can keep traction, these tractors will pull anything, What kind of tires do you have? Do you have any wheel weights? It's amazing how carrying more weight in the right place helps.

Welcome, Tom. The hydros will be up to the task if the filter and fluid are fresh and the unit is not worn out. They do have more parasitic power loss as compared to a direct gear drive. The main advantage is more precise speed control and easing the power to the drive wheels to prevent slippage.

Thank you guys! In a few minutes, I'm departing for Maryland to pick up another 128... this time with a creeper drive. It's only $275, and it runs but the coil gets hot and is connected directly to the battery. Since I have another 128 sitting here to compare it to, I should be able to figure it out. I'll start a new thread on my progress with that. Appreciate the welcome!

Hello Tom, welcome to the forum. Can you share some photos?;)

Well, I had to postpone my trip down south. My wife stayed home today because she wasn't feeling well.

To answer people's questions about traction, I absolutely know I have traction issues! I'm pretty sure they're the original tires. I have every intention of getting a set of AG tires for the rear along with some wheel weights.

I can't help but wonder if I should sell my 128 and look for a hydro. LOVE the 128 though!

Pictures later!

My 2 cents is to keep your current 128, AND then also purchase a hydro. I have 4 Cubs with a 5th one planned for sometime this year. There are many guys here with far more than one unit in their stable. They are addicting!

Thank you to everyone for the welcome.

I told my wife what everyone said about getting more Cubs.. she rolled her eyes, as expected (the most I've had at any time is 4!).

If I keep the 128, I definitely want to get some kind of lighting on it. Mine did not come with the factory lights. I've been trying to find aftermarket solutions,

It runs and cuts as it should. It's not pretty. I definitely plan on repainting it this spring and trying to do something about the lack-of-weight issue. I bought it in southern PA last fall for $350. All I've done is change the oil, new filter, new rear diff fluid, and put new pad material on the brakes. Attached are some pictures I took this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_20220223_122430650_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220223_122430650_HDR.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20220223_122439041_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220223_122439041_HDR.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20220223_122448813_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220223_122448813_HDR.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20220223_122455974_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220223_122455974_HDR.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 73
If I keep the 128, I definitely want to get some kind of lighting on it. Mine did not come with the factory lights. I've been trying to find aftermarket solutions,

I made a new headlight panel- to replace the original behind the grille. That way, I wasn't ruining an original part. I then mounted (2) LED Motorcycle driving lights... To say they "light up the neighborhood" is somewhat of an understatement....

Lights-1.jpg

Lights-2.jpg

Thank you to everyone for the welcome.

I told my wife what everyone said about getting more Cubs.. she rolled her eyes, as expected (the most I've had at any time is 4!).

4 seems like a low number….

It runs and cuts as it should. It's not pretty. I definitely plan on repainting it this spring and trying to do something about the lack-of-weight issue. I bought it in southern PA last fall for $350. All I've done is change the oil, new filter, new rear diff fluid, and put new pad material on the brakes. Attached are some pictures I took this afternoon.

I live in Millerstown Pa 17062. I have a 108 with creeper, a 109, a 129 and a149 all of witch are running worker machines and a large amount of extra parts, including eng blocks ,front axles, manuel and hydro trans and much more.At my age,76, I need to thin the herd. I am not able to post pics, so contact me and/or come see me. I have been playing with cubs for a lot of years and have lots of stuff.

Dale- Great to see a member so close by. I used to teach at Newport MS/HS, so I know exactly where Millerstown is. I used to have my marching band party at the pool every year. I'm only about 45 minutes away from you. I'd love to come see what you have. Perhaps I can help you "thin the herd!"

I made a new headlight panel- to replace the original behind the grille. That way, I wasn't ruining an original part. I then mounted (2) LED Motorcycle driving lights... To say they "light up the neighborhood" is somewhat of an understatement....

View attachment 148033
View attachment 148034
That is a super clean machine. I'd love to hear how/what you used for the new piece and lights. Well done!

I can't believe nobody asked the important question!! What kind of pup is Ellie? Welcome to the group, and like everyone else said, keep the gear drive, and get a hydro! They both excel at different things, and have their own disadvantages. So it's best to have one of each, or 3 of one, and 1 of the the other in my case.

Back