• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Got a year old XT1 LT46 w/ KT725 - 22hp

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Correll

Got a year old XT1 LT46 / KT725 - 22hp
I added gas from a plastic can that was at least 9 months old.
It ran for a few minuted then died.
I assumed the gas was old, so I drained the tank and added new fuel.
After several attempts to start it, it will not start.
Fuel runs freely from the tank to the fuel pump.
No fuel seems to be reaching the cylinders.
The engine has a Walbro carb.

Intuitively, when I place a finger on the fuel solenoid, then turn the key on and/or off, I should feel a vibration when the pin is activated to open or close the fuel shut off valve.
If I feel nothing then the solenoid is not working, ... right?

To rule out ignition, squirt some fresh fuel or spray ether in the carb inlet. If it fires, the ignition is decent, and it has compression.

Dripped a bit of fuel into the air cleaner. It fired right up.
Might run into town to check and see if they have a replacement fuel solenoid.

If you don't want to spend the money on a new fuel shutoff solenoid, you could just remove it and cut the end off and reinstall it. However, it may, MAY, backfire when you shut the tractor down. I did this on on my grandpa xt2 that has the kawasaki engine, and he hasn't complained of a backfire yet. But if your machine is only a year old, it's best to take it to the dealer and they will fix it under warranty, as all cubs have a 3 year warranty. But if it is varnished up from old fuel, then that is not covered under warranty.

JPaulus said it well ..chances are the sol. is gummed up...I've had to clean many and they don't always click...take it off clean with carb cleaner and use a couple of small jumper wires and you will know if it works or not.....As Jay said you can grind the point of the needle off as well

All my VOMs died, probably humidity.
Leads for the solenoid are hot and the solenoid has low resistance.
The solenoid looks good to me and should be working.

I have a couple year older 42" CC mower just sitting.
It has what looks to be the same Wilbro carb on it.
I'm thinking of pulling it off, cleaning it up them putting it onto the 46".
Any reasons that won't work?
I don't think the move up from a 715 to a 725 engine should matter.
Except for stroke length they're pretty much treated the same in the manual.

Update:
After screwing around with it a bit, I tried the starer.
It started right up.
It was in choke.
Had to put the choke on to start it up again, and it didn't seem to run as smoothly as before, but still not badly.
Fuel is not as smooth as before.
If it gives problems, I may try the other carb.
Again, any reason not to?

JPaulus said it well ..chances are the sol. is gummed up...I've had to clean many and they don't always click...take it off clean with carb cleaner and use a couple of small jumper wires and you will know if it works or not.....As Jay said you can grind the point of the needle off as well
THANK YOU

Back