• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Getting to the Cylinder Head on 1650 Hydro

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proper

displayname
PE ROPER
Trying to get to the Cylinder Head on 1650 Hydro (16Hp Kohler engine) in order to rethread the spark plug hole. Everyone I speak to wants to know how hard is it to get to the head (there are no cub cadets around this area). Most of the people I've spoke to want to remove the the cylinder head off the engine to rethread it. First I pulled out the service manual and noted nine cubs have the same service manual.

There's is a video on YouTube where a guy is getting to the engine on a 129 Cub (fast forward 10 minutes). I understand that a 129 Cub is older than the 1650, and the engine is more incased, but it looks fairly simple (based on the 129 Cub) to get to the cylinder head.
This is the only video I could find where the cylinder head is exposed.

Is it as easy as removing the gas tank and the cover to get to the cylinder head? Nobody wants to touch it if the carburetor, cylinder, hydro system and electrical wiring has to be removed. No one around here has worked on a Cub. Can someone please give me a quick run down to get the cylinder head off?

Thank you.

It's pretty simple...remove the fuel tank, carb, and the shroud over the cylinder head. Remove the head, sand it flat on a sheet of glass with wet/dry sandpaper, reinstall to torque order and spec in the Kohler service manual, which is a free download from Kohler's website.

Back