• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Generator on a 124, is it CW or CCW?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe from ny

Greetings all - The battery on my 1967 vintage 124 kept going dead. I tested the generator/starter and i found the field coils to have a break in the windings. They look to be burnt up. I left a rusted muffler with rotted holes spewing hot exhaust right onto the generator for too long i guess. I fixed the muffler, now I need to get replacement field windings.

Now my question. In the listings for the parts, they list one part number for clockwise rotation, and another part number for counterclockwise rotation. Can anyone advise which one I have on my 124?

Thanks

Joe

Here is the model of the generator

Delco generator.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings all - The battery on my 1967 vintage 124 kept going dead. I tested the generator/starter and i found the field coils to have a break in the windings. They look to be burnt up. I left a rusted muffler with rotted holes spewing hot exhaust right onto the generator for too long i guess. I fixed the muffler, now I need to get replacement field windings.

Now my question. In the listings for the parts, they list one part number for clockwise rotation, and another part number for counterclockwise rotation. Can anyone advise which one I have on my 124?

Thanks

Joe

Here is the model of the generator

View attachment 140564
All are CCW

Thank you brother. Is there a reliable source among the vendors on this site who sell the field coil winding sets to rebuild these these?

Thank you brother. Is there a reliable source among the vendors on this site who sell the field coil winding sets to rebuild these these?
The guy that Answred you! Charlie and his CCC Specialties is a key source of both parts and expert knowledge on these wonderful old machines. I highly recommend you purchase from his company....

Here is what happened to mine after a couple years of constant directed streams of engine exhaust.

View attachment 140568
My first question would have to be! How can a S/G get engine exhaust? It's physically impossible unless you've modified it in some way.

My first question would have to be! How can a S/G get engine exhaust? It's physically impossible unless you've modified it in some way.

I have a 124. The top of the muffler can where it is crimped over the round barrel part rusted away and seperated, so the exhaust was shooting out the side of the muffler top., before it went out the curved outlet. it blasted right on to the generator and made it always extremely roasting hot. i always had a feeling it would eventually burn up something inside, but the muffler pipe elbow at the head was frozen tight rusted and I always put off swapping. a few days of soaking with Kroil and then a good wrench eventually got if off so I put a nice new muffler on. but the damage was already done to the generator.

This is not mine, but the same model showing how close the muffler is to the generator.

Attachments

• Cub cadet 124 front.JPG
    Cub cadet 124 front.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Cub Cadet 124 more side.JPG
    Cub Cadet 124 more side.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Cub cadet 124 side 2.jpg
    Cub cadet 124 side 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 256
I have a 124. The top of the muffler can where it is crimped over the round barrel part rusted away and seperated, so the exhaust was shooting out the side of the muffler top., before it went out the curved outlet. it blasted right on to the generator and made it always extremely roasting hot. i always had a feeling it would eventually burn up something inside, but the muffler pipe elbow at the head was frozen tight rusted and I always put off swapping. a few days of soaking with Kroil and then a good wrench eventually got if off so I put a nice new muffler on. but the damage was already done to the generator.

This is not mine, but the same model showing how close the muffler is to the generator.
If the paint ain't turned brown, heat didn't hurt the S/G. Did the exhaust heat help any? No! But it did shorten it's life some.

So none of the pics are of your machine? :feint:
Like i said in the post, that one is not mine. I only posted them to show the arrangement to brother who couldn’t picture it.
I am not at the property where the machine is at now. I live in a more urban area, on a small typical 40x100 plot. No need here for it. It is at the summer house. I removed the S/G from the tractor this week and took the photos of the damage. I hope to get some parts to fix it soon before it gets cold again. The weather has been beautiful in NY lately.

I got sidetracked by working on removing the float bowl from my walk behind craftsman snow blower. I am looking online for a carb rebuild kit, but the Chinese carbs are so cheap, i might just order a whole carb and slap it on.

Back