• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Geared Trans, Clutching

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack casey

IHCC Supporter
New to me Cub 102 with the all-gear trans. Looking at the Blue Ribbon Service manual GSS-1369, page 2-15....'Clutch and Brake pedal linkage adjustments.' Following the clutching zone engaged/disengaged instruction I cannot go from neutral to 1st or reverse without gear-crunching. When I bought the tractor the owner drove it around without issues. What the hay am I doing wrong?
Help please, Jack C

There is something binding in the drive line then.
Loose bolts, engine mounts or sticky drive plate bushing or something along those lines.
There is no "clutch brake" so to speak on these machines.
Observe the drive shaft when the clutch is completely depressed to see if it is spinning.
If so, then the clutch is not adjusted correctly or there is binding somewhere in the drive line.
The only thing spinning when the clutch is depressed should be the clutch disc itself.
The bushing in the drive plate ass'y are first on my list of culprits.
The driveshaft must come to a stop in order to shift gears normally

There is something binding in the drive line then.
Loose bolts, engine mounts or sticky drive plate bushing or something along those lines.
There is no "clutch brake" so to speak on these machines.
Observe the drive shaft when the clutch is completely depressed to see if it is spinning.
If so, then the clutch is not adjusted correctly or there is binding somewhere in the drive line.
The only thing spinning when the clutch is depressed should be the clutch disc itself.
The bushing in the drive plate ass'y are first on my list of culprits.
The driveshaft must come to a stop in order to shift gears normally
Many thanks the quick response. Did not check the clutch disk when buying....the price was too good. Knew I'd be in for a replacement. There is no pedal position where the clutch will disengage, so when the clutch is depressed everything keeps moving. The disk is 1/16" thick. Do ya think that's a problem?
I'll look at repair sites but think this is an easy replacement if only doable from a seated position looking down at the disk. Not jacking this baby up and working on the floor....too old for that.
Cheers, Jack

That's worn way too this.
The metal core is that thick, sounds as if the fiber disc portion is completely worn away!
New replacement discs do not have this core.
Just follow the directions in the service manual for your tractor
Good luck!

The discs I just bought had the core in them. Part# 961-3002. ;)
Although, a little hard to find.

The discs I just bought had the core in them. Part# 961-3002. ;)
Although, a little hard to find.
What makes you think they are hard to find?

:cubwinker:

1659295612792.png

That's worn way too this.
The metal core is that thick, sounds as if the fiber disc portion is completely worn away!
New replacement discs do not have this core.
Just follow the directions in the service manual for your tractor
Good luck!
Oh yes they do have the metal plate sandwiched between the clutch material.

Now if you go to greedbay and buy that junk, you are correct, they do not.

Many thanks the quick response. Did not check the clutch disk when buying....the price was too good. Knew I'd be in for a replacement. There is no pedal position where the clutch will disengage, so when the clutch is depressed everything keeps moving. The disk is 1/16" thick. Do ya think that's a problem?
I'll look at repair sites but think this is an easy replacement if only doable from a seated position looking down at the disk. Not jacking this baby up and working on the floor....too old for that.
Cheers, Jack
http://cubfaq.com/mechanical_clutch.html

:yikes:Just my luck.
Everything I have seen or heard of on back order, is BO'd for 6 months or longer. Took 16 months to get furniture we had ordered. Been waiting on a metal carport for two months, and company said they give no lead time. Called about a month ago, and they said they had no idea when I would get it!

:yikes:Just my luck.
Everything I have seen or heard of on back order, is BO'd for 6 months or longer. Took 16 months to get furniture we had ordered. Been waiting on a metal carport for two months, and company said they give no lead time. Called about a month ago, and they said they had no idea when I would get it!

Hey Marty - you're ordering the wrong stuff at the wrong time. I do have a request - please don't order any toilet paper. I don't want them running short again. :errrr:

Honestly, I don't know what it's gonna take to get all this supply chain issue stuff worked out except time. And please don't say politicians. They just ain't the ones that fix this stuff. It's just like a balloon, give it a poke in one place and it pops out in another.

Marty,
What company are you trying to get the carport from? There are 3 carport mfgs in Mt Airy.
I bought 3 from Carolina Carports = but that was more than 8 years ago.

Marty,
What company are you trying to get the carport from? There are 3 carport mfgs in Mt Airy.
I bought 3 from Carolina Carports = but that was more than 8 years ago.
Ray - I think it might be CC (China Carports). :errrr:

I ordered it from Alan's Factory Outlet in Virginia. They are subbing it out through Carolina Carports. Alan's was close to 2K cheaper than anyone else, including Carolina Carports. :yikes: Figure that one out.
The past two years has slowed down many businesses because no one wants to work anymore. Covid shut down the country in more than one way. Handing out all those "stimulus" checks didn't help either. Everyone went hog wild with that "free" money, spending and buying like crazy. Everyone bought everything up, with no one working to help replace what was bought.

I ordered it from Alan's Factory Outlet in Virginia. They are subbing it out through Carolina Carports. Alan's was close to 2K cheaper than anyone else, including Carolina Carports. :yikes: Figure that one out.
The past two years has slowed down many businesses because no one wants to work anymore. Covid shut down the country in more than one way. Handing out all those "stimulus" checks didn't help either. Everyone went hog wild with that "free" money, spending and buying like crazy. Everyone bought everything up, with no one working to help replace what was bought.
Marty - something sure sounds fishy with your order between Alan's and Carolina. Sure hope it works out for you.

Jack,
How far are you from Dansville, NY? Killer deal on a 126 there! Then you could have two in the local shop, and the guys wouldn't have to argue about who'd get to work on them! :bluethumbsup::errrr:

BTW, Alan's did say I could get my deposit back anytime, if I didn't want to wait. Carolina Carports did confirm my order was placed with them. Since my order was less than $5K, they are waiting for more orders in this area to justify the trip costs.

Back