Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Gear reducer

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

Martin Davidson

About gear reducers I want to change the oil on mine and I don’t see a drain hole. At first I thought it drained with the trans diff combo but I pulled the large plug on the middle right side on the gear reducer and I can see oil just below the hole. The manual says nothing about it. Thanks in advance Digger

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Martin, the UD6 Creeper/underdrive, for the Original has a drain plug at the bottom, and a level plug on the side. It uses SAE-140.

Original_Creeper_05a.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original_Creeper_06a.jpg

Martin Davidson

Martin, the UD6 Creeper/underdrive, for the Original has a drain plug at the bottom, and a level plug on the side. It uses SAE-140.

View attachment 145584

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 145585
I am sorry I meant the factory gear reduction box in front of the trans/diff. Unless I missed it I didn’t see a drain hole on the bottom.
Thanks

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
The transmission drain should also (mostly) drain the reduction drive. The fill level for the transmission is that plug on the right hand side.

From the Operator's Manual:

OriginalManual17a.jpg

OriginalManual18a.jpg

From the Chassis Service Manual:

Page 20a.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that there are no seals on the bearings on the "Transmission input shaft" and "Transmission countershaft" between the reduction housing and the transmission.

Page 23a.jpg