• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Gator blades on my 3185 with 48" deck / mulching kit installed.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgardner

displayname
Michael Gardner
OK, now I am sold on the Gator Mulching blades. Just put a freshly sharpened set on my 48" deck with the mulching kit on my 3185 and wow! Can't see the leavings and a nice smooth cut. As I reverse directions across the yard with each pass, it striped out my yard like a pro.

I am sold. Anyone else using these?

M Gardner

Yes. A better question might be "who doesn't use these?" I have a set on my 1811 which I use in the fall to make 2 acres of oak leaves disappear. It usually takes 2 passes for thick oak leaves but it sure beats using the Trac-vac.

Ditto to what matt said.
I even use'um on my 100.
38239.jpg

John-

Which tractor are you wanting to use those blades on? I'm not sure you two are talking about the same 48" deck....Michael means the 48" deck that comes on the much newer cubs, not the 48" deck that came on 125's, 127/147's, 128/9's, etc.

John-

Are you sure you don't have a 44" or 50" deck on there? Could you post a picture of your deck so we can identify it? I'd hate to have you buy the wrong set of blades.

Matt

I also have a 46" deck,like the one that Michael has pictured. Do they make them for this deck? I have checked around my area, and have had no luck finding any.

John

They should. You'll probably have to get them over the internet, mine weren't available locally.

I'm the new owner of a 1711 Hydro and new to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance. I want to convert my 1711 to a mulching mower. I have found a source for the Gator blades. Is there anything else I need for the conversion? I appreciate all the help I can get from you experts.

Randy,

gators probably won't turn your 44 or 50 inch deck on your 1711 into a mulching mower. Yes, they are mulching blades, new they really light up a 44 or 50 inch deck and make it perform, BUT these decks were designed for side discharge. They are not baffled for true mulching and will likely leave clumps and trails of grass if you block off the chute like a true mulching mower.

That said, Gators are one of the best investments you can make in a 44/50 deck. In side discharge mode, you will see a slight reduction in clipping size, but more importantly, your quality of cut will go way up. They have more lift and a better cutting face angle than the stock "swept" cub cadet blades.

Thinking of the Gators as a high performance blade, but not necessarily a true 100% blocked discharge mulcher...still well worth the investment, they're all I run on my decks and I'm VERY picky about deck performance...ask around, these guys know me
happy.gif
happy.gif

Steve - Thanks for the information. I have my Gator blades on order and anxiously await their arrival so I can use them before winter sets in.

Randy, please note that Steve's tag says "Mr Plow" but it could just as well say "Mr Mow". If you look in the FAQ at entry #15 "How do I level my mower deck?", you'll see that Steve is the author of it. Steve's mower decks are tweaked to perfection and he's posted posted photos of his freshly mowed yard to prove it (looks like a putting green)!

Gator blade are all that my dad will use, I'd use them if they made them for my older 42" Cub Cadet mower deck.

Steve, how's that?
happy.gif

Back