• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

GAS in the CRANKCASE

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpenn

displayname
Bart Penn
Help me out here guys. Went to pull my 2072 out of the shed and noticed an oil puddle when I'd never had one before. Long story short, pulled the drain plug and out came a gallon and a half of dirty GAS! Good thing I didn't fire her up. It's the 20 hp Kohler. What do you think? I'm thinkin' fuel pump. Anybody had this happen or heard of it before?

Yes, that's probably the fuel pump. I assume your 2072 still has the original mechanical fuel pump. When the diaphram breaks on those it lets gas leak into the crankcase. Most people just buy an electric fuel pump and get a block-off plate to put where the old pump was. This is what was done to my 1811. This is actually a pretty common problem. I would also get a carb kit for the carb and install that too while you're in there, because if the needle and seat in the carb stops working, that will do the same thing.

Bart,
Check the doughnut in the float bowl. My 782 had the same problem. Steve B. told me to check it. Had a pin hole in the brass float that had gas in it thus holding it down and pouring gas into the crankcase. Just giving something else to look at. Chris

Had same problem with my 682. The dealer told me to check my breather. The flapper thing on the breather had broken off over the years and was pumping butt loads of fuel into the crankcase. Bought a new breather and it fixed it.

Latest posts

Back