• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Gardens 2022

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Odd year for me as well. We grew half the potatoes as last year because we had so many. Never had critter issues with taters but this year some animal kept nibbling them. Same with pumpkins, we never had to fence them. This year, the deer beat them up, tin plates banging in the wind and scarecrow did nothing, we the up a temp. fence and are doing OK.

Anyone grow tomatoes? I had a really bad year due to deer...and have NEVER had that problem,not with tomatoes anyway
Got screwed again this season -- every year I swear never again. This year mostly green tomatoes, or ULGY disfigured ripe ones with rot, spots, etc. Rabbits, deer get inside my fence and help themselves, Deer **** all around the tomatoes, dog rolls in it -- fun times lol. Spent $50 on tomatoes, peat moss. Thought it had been a great growing year, but could have bought alot of perfect tomatoes at the local fruit markets for that $50.

Got screwed again this season -- every year I swear never again. This year mostly green tomatoes, or ULGY disfigured ripe ones with rot, spots, etc. Rabbits, deer get inside my fence and help themselves, Deer **** all around the tomatoes, dog rolls in it -- fun times lol. Spent $50 on tomatoes, peat moss. Thought it had been a great growing year, but could have bought alot of perfect tomatoes at the local fruit markets for that $50.
I hear ya!!!

Nice spuds! My dairy farmer uncle used to grow them in the 60s/70s and he buried an old freezer up to the lid, and it kept them cool without freezing — so he claimed.

My taters did really well this year, the bear destroyed my corn though. Which, by the way, I can definitively answer the age old question- does a bear crap in the woods? NO, he does it in my garden!!! Hopefully the carrots come on strong, I planted calydoscope carrots, and this one happened to be purple. But when you peel it, they are bright orange on the inside!
20220915_172357.jpg

My taters did really well this year, the bear destroyed my corn though. Which, by the way, I can definitively answer the age old question- does a bear crap in the woods? NO, he does it in my garden!!! Hopefully the carrots come on strong, I planted calydoscope carrots, and this one happened to be purple. But when you peel it, they are bright orange on the inside! View attachment 151274
There you are...I wondered how your garden did

Never had a large animal eat my tomato plants, but this year they kept getting chomped on. Same thing with the hosta plants right along the front of the house. Came out on day and all the leaves were gone!

Nice spuds! My dairy farmer uncle used to grow them in the 60s/70s and he buried an old freezer up to the lid, and it kept them cool without freezing — so he claimed.
Raised by older grandparents,we kept them in a wood box in the Michigan basement(basically stacked stones and dirt floor)...They did fine until spring then started to soften and sprout...temp maybe stayed around 45 all winter...

To keep[ the deer not only out of but clear away from you garden us discarded CD's. Run a wire about 6' high round the outside of your garden. Wire like bailing wire of electric fence wire works fine. Cut pieces of electric fence wire or similar in foot lengths. Bend them in half to form a U. Slide a CD over one end. Wrap both end of the U around the main wire about 6" apart, pinching one wrap to keep it from sliding. Space them about every 12-15'. The slightest breeze wil make the CD's move and when they move they are like suncatchers and throw of flashes of light visable a good distance. Your deer trouble will be over. I leave mine up year around and have not seen one deer track in the garden since I put them up. Good luck.

To keep[ the deer not only out of but clear away from you garden us discarded CD's. Run a wire about 6' high round the outside of your garden. Wire like bailing wire of electric fence wire works fine. Cut pieces of electric fence wire or similar in foot lengths. Bend them in half to form a U. Slide a CD over one end. Wrap both end of the U around the main wire about 6" apart, pinching one wrap to keep it from sliding. Space them about every 12-15'. The slightest breeze wil make the CD's move and when they move they are like suncatchers and throw of flashes of light visable a good distance. Your deer trouble will be over. I leave mine up year around and have not seen one deer track in the garden since I put them up. Good luck.
Thanks for that idea, I will certainly try it if I do tomatoes next year. Have also heard of stringing fishing line to spook them.

Thanks for that idea, I will certainly try it if I do tomatoes next year. Have also heard of stringing fishing line to spook them.
I see no reason why 12-14 lb test fish line would not work as well as wire and probably be cheaper. Spot of super glue would hold the loops with the cd's in place.

Never had a large animal eat my tomato plants, but this year they kept getting chomped on. Same thing with the hosta plants right along the front of the house. Came out on day and all the leaves were gone!
Firstly, we call them tamatas, I hail from Queens County NY. One year deer ate 36 green tamatas from one of my plants. I grow Celebrity tamatas, are determinate, meaning they grow to 4 ft in height. Use tamata fertilizer from Gardeners Supply, cage them in with green plastic fencing to keep out deer and squirrels. Follow the fertilizer instructions (4-6 weeks) and also add Ocean Solutions every 4-6 weeks. I still have a lot of greenies on the vines ready to be paper-bagged and left in the sun to ripen. Our favorite lunch is a Bronx sandwich - toasted rye, mayo and tamata slices - fantastic.

For my wife's 48 hosta I've been using Bobbex every 3-4 weeks. It gets absorbed into the leaf and deer won't eat; I have found chomped leaves that they've spit out. At this time of year they are getting desperate and will eat most anything.

Cheers, Jack

Firstly, we call them tamatas, I hail from Queens County NY. One year deer ate 36 green tamatas from one of my plants. I grow Celebrity tamatas, are determinate, meaning they grow to 4 ft in height. Use tamata fertilizer from Gardeners Supply, cage them in with green plastic fencing to keep out deer and squirrels. Follow the fertilizer instructions (4-6 weeks) and also add Ocean Solutions every 4-6 weeks. I still have a lot of greenies on the vines ready to be paper-bagged and left in the sun to ripen. Our favorite lunch is a Bronx sandwich - toasted rye, mayo and tamata slices - fantastic.

For my wife's 48 hosta I've been using Bobbex every 3-4 weeks. It gets absorbed into the leaf and deer won't eat; I have found chomped leaves that they've spit out. At this time of year they are getting desperate and will eat most anything.

Cheers, Jack
I haven't been very smart in previous years about growing them -- this year I finally started fussing with the soil and it paid off with more red tomatoes. I always notice that in August they put on the brakes quickly when cool nights start to happen and yield drops off sharply. Green plastic fencing good idea, although this year for some reason we had a bunch of baby rabbits and they slipped in through my fencing.

I haven't been very smart in previous years about growing them -- this year I finally started fussing with the soil and it paid off with more red tomatoes. I always notice that in August they put on the brakes quickly when cool nights start to happen and yield drops off sharply. Green plastic fencing good idea, although this year for some reason we had a bunch of baby rabbits and they slipped in through my fencing.
Best-looking rabbits are the ones hiding behind the cross hairs. Squirrels too.

Back