Just a nice days drive. Hauled a few loads of parking post out of Yellow River State Forest when I worked for the Conservation Commission (prior DNR days) . Used to catch the UMP Super Late Model race car summer tour at Farley,. then Wi. back into Mn a couple place than back into NW Iowa several times.
5 weeks today since I planted the spuds.
most all are up and looking good, about ready to bloom.
Much better than last year as the CO beetles had them all chewed to hell before they bloomed.
I am finding a few of them, all adults, on the new crop by walking the rows about 2 or 3 times a day looking for them.
Been about 13 days now since the last decent rainfall and things are beginning to look very very dry around the edges.
There is a creek about 70 feet to the left of the rows but I can't think of a good way to get the water
up to where it's needed w/o stringing over 200' of drop cord.
Planted potatoes the first week of March and they did pretty good this year.
I got my first batch of corn in on April 10th. I use my ole Farmall 100 to lay the rows out. I plant "Bodacious" corn. I planted the 2nd batch about 1 week later. My corn only had maybe a 60-70% germination rate this year. I never had that problem before but the seed wasn't treated for some reason this year.
We had a pretty good harvest considering all the issues this year. The first bucket full was picked on July 8th and the second bucket was picked on July 10th.
I cut all my corn and freeze it. I need to start canning more so I don't have to worry about my freezer going down. All in all we got about 40lbs of bags in the freezer. That should last me all year.
David, I like your pole been setup. Got any pics of your supports? I planted a bunch of bush beans this year but the dang deer ate them down to the ground. My buddy had the same issue but he switched to pole type and doesn't have that problem.
Yes, see post #3 this thread.
one each, 20' piece of re-bar per support.
Cut into 3 pieces, 2 ea 8' and one 4'
Weld a small piece of flat 12" up from the bottom of the 8' pcs to step on and push into the ground, and a short pc of tube or pipe to the top.
Bend 6" down 90* on each end of the 4' pcs to form a short legged "U"
Place the 8' pcs 3' apart with the top 'U' shaped pc slipping into the top tubes.
If I was to do this again, I would paint these white or light green.
We had fair results this year but have had better years.
I did not get my bug bags up soon enough and the Jap beetles got there ahead of time and did their damage to some of the leaves.
Froze about 10 pounds of corn yesterday, 1st planting. Was disappointed in that turnout as well but we had already used quite a few ears on the cob. A large part got blown flat a few weeks ago and never got back up. That and the fact that a neighbors huge ash tree shades a large part of our garden for nearly 1/2 the day and general lack of rainfall for a week or so did not help things any.
Deer are into my watermelons as well, destroying 2 so far. Hung Irish Spring soap on strings around them, will see if that does any good, if nothing else I will have "clean dirt",so far, 2" of rain overnight here!!