• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Gardens 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
We got BEANS!!!
Only one problem, well actually, 2 problems...
The beans are still under the grow lamp...
And, the garden is still a mud hole!

320207.jpg

320208.jpg

David,

My garden is getting ready to be a mud hole. It is supposed to start raining tonight, and continue until about Thursday!
Still too cold to plant any beans or tomatoes. It has been down to around 32 degrees for the past few days.

My garden is still covered in snow. I took this photo this afternoon.

320211.jpg

I had one garden day so far this spring. We have had rain every week and the ground is not workable. I finally got some potatoes. Lettuce, Onions, Spinach and mustard planted. The next day it was 26 degrees and snow At least the cubs got a workout.

I at least had good luck with the garden tractors this year. The 1650 tiller started right up after checking fluids, etc. It had been sitting for about 5 months (covered). The 149 did the same. I turned, harrowed, tilled two sections in the garden but so far I only have some onions planted. Like Marty said, it's been cold here in NC at nights recently.
The brown strip is mulch covering the onions.

320227.jpg

320228.jpg

This has been the coldest spring I can ever remember.

I also think my camera is on the way out.

Gave the cubs a workout yesterday. I plowed and planted garden all day. Planted corn, beans, 3 kinds squash, tomatoes and onions. Supposed to be 80 here today so I should get a lot done. Wife said I was working in the flower beds today.

My garlic is up! That's about it for activity in my garden.

Remote weather stations.
You know, the ones w/wireless readouts and rain dump etc, etc, etc.
Anyone using them and are they any good?
Battery life?
Dependability?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Tryig to drop hunts for Father's Day!! heh heh!!
Oh Yes, I did get my garden tilled yesterday, and then it rained!!

I have an AcuRite......has worked well for 2-3 years now. Mounted it on top of my shed and calibrated the rain sensor. Measures rain within .1" of my big high visibility tube gauge and is nice for the wind speed and direction when my wife sets out on a bike ride. Also like the summaries and totals, temps, humidity, etc..

I have it mounted about 150' from the transmitter and it reads fine in all conditions.

My two aging asparagus beds are not producing like they used to so I ordered ten more plants. They were delivered Wednesday and I was able to get them in the ground yesterday afternoon. Dug two trenches, mixed in some organic fertilizer, placed the plants, covered them and watered them in. Now I wait. As they grow I'll continue to back fill them.

320356.jpg

320357.jpg

The garlic is looking good.

320358.jpg

320359.jpg

I have an additional bed this year where I have a few more cloves of my traditional garlic and another variety that I'm trying out. The two varieties are separated by the 2x4. They are a little slower to come up than my other two beds as this bed was under a deep drift of snow.

320360.jpg

How are all of the gardens doing out there???

I've been getting cucumbers like crazy and the okra is starting to need cutting every other day. I was given a pack of beans by a neighbor which I planted. Little did I realize it would be up to me to harvest them as well. I have done that twice now, my first and last time. Just last night I cooked a big pan of squash & onions. The squash bugs gave me a fit for a while but the "8" dust (pyrethrin) did the trick. I am careful not to get any dust on the blooms for obvious reasons. I have some tomatoes and pepper plants but they aren't doing as well as I would like. The peppers were destroyed (almost) by deer so I fenced that part of the garden and the pepper plants have since recovered. I usually cut the fence off during the day but yesterday I didn't and when I went to mow a bit around the fence I forgot and grabbed the wire. I didn't hold it for long.

It's been hot after that cool spring and the rains have been few and far between. Starting today we are getting some relief from the heat but it won't last...it's July in the south. It just started raining here a few minutes ago and is suppose to continue most of the day.

My garden had no rain in June until the 4th week. Since then I have had 9.5 inches and high winds with thunderstorms. There is gulley's washed out in the garden 12" deep. My garden is producing good accordingly. Corn is laying on the ground but I will get around 50% crop. I have tomatoes, potatoes, squash, onions, beans, salad greens, peppers, melons and sweet potatoes. Bad garden year here.

After three weeks with no rain and temps above 90 degrees, my garden looks pitiful.
We did get an inch of rain Thursday, but it looks like my garden will not rebound after all the hot dry weather.
sad.gif

Kudos to those who got a garden in. I I just got my backyard cleaned up. Oh well, I guess there's next year

The ten asparagus plants that I planted have all sprouted and I just did the final back filling over the weekend. I still need to mulch it. We've had a bit too much rain and the garlic is stressed from that. Everything else is doing well except the pepper plants which seem stunted. Not sure what is up with them.
1a_scratchhead.gif

My garden just got electrified.....trying to keep the deer from eating the tomato blossoms!

Back