• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Garden 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, good looking garden. Is the fence there to keep the animals out or the neighbors?

Deer ate every tomato blossom last year, wife was pissed!!, so this year I’m in the fencing business!

Tomatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers, zucchini, and herbs......one big salsa factory with some extras.

Plus my rhubarb for pies!

Snuck it in between rain drops this spring and all the rain since has it flourishing.

Thanks for posting Kraig!

1st picking of corn will soon be in the freezer! 1 of 2 buckets full.

326437.jpg

Japanese beetle bug bag.
These things work!!
About 2 pounds worth in 4 days!!
GROSS!!

That's my Linden tree in the background.
They have about 1/2 the leaves stripped from the top and they raised hell with our beans and potatoes as well.
I have 2 of them out, the other one is down by the corner of the white bldg on the left, the garden is beyond that. Next year will post 4, one on each corner of the place.

326459.jpg

Oh yeah, I have had my share of those beetles this summer.
They love apple and cherry trees.

You will need to change out the bags about every four days, so the bag won't start stinking too bad and drive away other beetles.
The beetles have about ended their cycle in this area.

I haven't changed my bag in several days, and it only has a few in the bottom.
Back in late spring when I put the bags out, the beetles were swarming the bag before I could even put it up!

You can get the traps most anywhere, even on-line. Just do a search for "bag a bug."

I've always heard that the thing to do is buy your neighbors bug bags.

I hung a bug bag one year many years ago and I think I had more beetles that year than ever before or since. I dug a post hole close to the trap and dumped the bag there when it was full. It was eventually dug up by a coon or something.

Wayne,

You are supposed to place the bags at least 30 feet from what you are wanting to protect.
The bait draws them, and you do not want to draw them to your foliage.

I cannot tell if there are any more beetles this year, but my "foliage" looks less damaged this time.
There may be more next year, but I wiped out about a million of them suckers in the past 90 days!
biggrin.gif

20 lbs of tomatoes yielded 9 qts of spaghetti sauce.
Will be good eating this winter. Also put up 18 qts of small spuds as well and 25 qts of beans.
The pantry is getting full once again!!

326684.jpg

We cooked up a bunch of the spuds that were too large to can but not real big for breakfast fixin's and just now got them sliced up and in the freezer.

Gonna be giving lots of beans away this year as there are way too many for us to use and we still have some left over from last year.

I've got to get down and check the 2nd planting of corn yet but no to optimistic on the yield.

My wife processed some salsa on Monday. Not a big batch but there's more tomatoes yet to ripen. Those will likely be just caned tomatoes.

326719.jpg

Back