• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

From 1965......

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
From a June 11, 1965 article in Time magazine:
U.S. farm-equipment makers, who for years have concentrated on building up a $700 million market in agricultural tractors, have found another $100 million business right in the backyard — of thousands of U.S. homeowners. With increasingly bigger homesites and more money in the family budget, the small garden or utility tractor, long mostly a toy for the wealthy, has become an all-round bestseller in suburbia and exurbia. Only six years ago, garden-tractor sales were a bare 27,000 throughout the U.S.; this year the industry expects them to top 180,000.

The versatile tractors, once manufactured by only a few companies, are now sold by 47. Sears, Roebuck so far is in the lead with three tractor models.

Longtime farm-equipment makers, including International Harvester, Allis Chalmers, Massey Ferguson and John Deere, have reached down into the new market. At the same time, such established mower makers as Simplicity, Jacobsen and Pennsylvania are stepping up to midget tractors. Large acreage and big income no longer seem to be requisites for sales: Harvester estimates that 70% of the buyers of its Cub Cadet own less than three acres and that half earn less than $10,000 a than year. The tractors are usually less than 4 ft. high, have 6-to 10-h.p. motors, move at 5 or 6 m.p.h. They are expensive, ranging from $270 to $1,000, and they frequently carry attachments that cost another $150 or more. Their most trenchant selling point is that they can cut large lawns four times as fast as power mowers. More than 85% of all buyers order a mowing attachment with their tractor; after that, they may choose other accessories that blow away or plow snow, roll and aerate lawns, haul logs, sweep driveways, bull doze dirt, and even forklift heavy loads. Inevitably, luxury optionals have been introduced: cigarette lighters, headlights for nighttime mowing, canopies and padded seats.

I love the estimate from "Harvester"

Kendell, I like the: "luxury optionals have been introduced: cigarette lighters, headlights for nighttime mowing, canopies and padded seats." Hey, they left fenders off of that list....

KEN - I own less than three acres and make less than $10,000/yr. I just wish I could buy a brand new Cub Cadet for less than $1000.
lol.gif

Man Kendell's a slow reader , at this rate he wont get to this month's Time until 2051 !!

KentucK, Kraig, Dennis and Myron - do any of you live in "exurbia" ??
I got this read a long time ago, but I'm a slow typer... (Actually, I now learn this was from a post on TractorByNet.Com, to give proper credit - I got it in an e-mail..)

Pennsylvania <u>brand</u> tractors ????
confused.gif

Boy we sure have come along way. I guess I am on the extreme end of the scale by these standards. One 1250 that works all year and a 95 electric that does the same and a wide and narrow frame both in the assembly stage. I've only got a 56'X72' lot in the city.

This is from the August, 1961 Science and Mechanics magazine. I wonder what brand the tractor is?

75607.jpg

This is the cover of that issue. (I wonder if KENtuckyKEN would be interested in building one of these for me?)
happy.gif

75608.jpg

Marlin - I'd never build anything that light.
$175 ? That's $100 more than my little monster cost thanks to a well supplied collection of ... er ... junk
happy.gif

Marlin:
thumbsup.gif

The cover article.... - do you have the magazine?? Looks like Ford banjo diff and that it uses leaf springs for rear part of frame..

Kendell I. You bet'cha. Got it off Ebay a few years back. My Dad was always going to build the little fella however the book got thrown away many years ago. The tractor is called the Pow'r Pup. The August and September issues were needed to cover the complete tractor build. There is/was a fella in Ohio that last fall had the old Ford rear end as part of a homemade trailer.
I did a google search and here are the plans to build the tractor.

Pow'r Pup

And here is the site that I got if from
Vintage Country Farm Plans

I also have to magazines for the other two midget tractors that are listed.

p.s. Oh man KENtuckyKen... I just want one of these little fellas. I'm not going to farm with it. A couple of people that actually remember one of them being in their neighborhood when they were kids said they were a pretty neat little tractor. Someone has to have the talent and such to help me get one of these built.

Kendell I. Are you thinking of building one?

Kraig M. I know where there is an abundance of old VWs for the Mothers tractor.

My Dad had the magazine for this little guy also. It may still be around. I'm not sure. I think it is pretty neat also.
Farmette

Marlin not...right....now. (Too many projects ahead of me now), I did want to see more details, so thanks for posting the plans !!! In times gone by, that would have been a project a teenager would have taken on - ever seen the old Popular Mechanics books for boys? Example - building a lathe......

Edit - Gee whiz, if I'd gone to the Vintage Farm site, I'd have seen a lot of those old Pop Mechanics articles.. gonna spend some time on that site in the next few days (collecting) Thank you !!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back