• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Free Cub Cadet 147

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbritt

displayname
William Britt
Thought I would show some pictures of my Cub 147. I got this free about a two years ago and today I finally fixed the electric lift.

Attachments

• 4CE2826A-E1AD-47E6-9650-7FF7108FF3AA.jpeg
    4CE2826A-E1AD-47E6-9650-7FF7108FF3AA.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 279
  • AFF9CCBD-3DA7-4E35-A4F7-F544597CE6DA_1_201_a.jpeg
    AFF9CCBD-3DA7-4E35-A4F7-F544597CE6DA_1_201_a.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 265
It still needs some things like the headlight panel and a rear axle seal. But it runs really great and mows just as well as my John Deere 316.

That’s in really nice condition, especially for free!

Thanks, I've worked on it here there but it's mostly the way i got it. Surprisingly the deck is super quite. I need to put the original rear wheels back on it and fix the steering column.

It was a friends, grandfathers Cub. Before he passed away he was mowing his son's yard. When he passed away they just let it sit in a small enclosed shed for about 4Yrs. My friend knew I messed with old tractors and asked me if i wanted it and I couldn't pass it up. The Kohler runs like a top. No smoke or bad noises just a lot of vibration. I just wished I knew who mushroomed the steering column shaft?

Remove the deck and the belt then, one at a time, spin the spindles by hand and listen for any grinding type noises.
Grease it up good while you have it off.
Try moving the ends of the blade up and down and look for excess play in the spindles.
Or, it could be bearings on the mule drive about ready to bite the dust as well, they are not too expensive.
On the other hand, If you discover bad spindles, depending on the model of the deck, you may be looking at expensive replacement parts so be prepared.

If you can't hear the engine while the deck is running......it needs new bearings. I've spent years putting up with screaming deck bearings. I finally bit the bullet and bought three new assemblies. Wow!!! The deck is nearly silent now. Why did I wait so long. All the grease I used to pump in was useless.

If it's bearings they are not difficult to replace.I just replaced all bearings (cone type) in a 38" deck for less than $75. I've redone countless decks (not cubs) and almost never had to replace spindles. It's all about how you take them apart without removing spindles. Most spindles are alum. with corroded steel bolts that break off in the spindle base and heat rarely helps. Leave the blade on,remove top nut and pulley plus key if there is one.The whole blade and center shaft will come out the bottom.Messy but not difficult..

Latest posts

Back