• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Four digit original

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty, I sold one about 12 years ago for $300. I seem to recall seeing one somewhere in the past few months for around $400. There's one on greedbay for $300. So I would say around $300. :)

Finally was able to get a little accomplished today. Cleaned out the blast cabinet and put new media in.
Took the back plate off the O tranny and drained it. The PO had put motor oil in it, instead of Hytran. The inside looks almost new! Brought it back inside to let it drain some more. Placed a rag in it to catch what drains to the bottom. Also blasted and primed a few items before I got too hot.

O tranny.jpg

I did not prime the inside of the back plate, the oil bath insert, or the inside of the breather. The bowl is also just lying at the bottom of the breather for the pic.
Take that, migraine headaches! :aaaa_tongue:
parts.jpg

Last edited:
Come on October!
The humidity has been 100 percent for over a week now, and it is like a steam bath outside. Temps have been in the low 90's. I hate this weather!
Changed the oil in my car and truck, and about passed out before I got back inside. No sandblasting today, dang. :(

Finally got back.
This was the wettest trip I ever made for a cub. They were giving a 60% chance of rain, and I got all 60% for the whole 350 mile round trip!
On the way back, I spotted an old IH pickup and stopped to look. Whoever it was had about 10 to 15 IH pickups and around 6 or so bigger IH trucks.
I wanted to get out and look, but it was raining cats and dogs.
Anyway, this little fella followed me home.
It was made in Aug. 61'

O one.jpg

My wife asked why I needed another O?
I told her this is not just any old O, it has a little thingy sticking up out of it!

O two.jpg

Bill,
Only the pedestal was modified. The clutch pedal has a small plate bolted to it, and the grille screen has some kind of metal plate over it.
Both plates will be removed as soon as it quits raining. :errrr:

Question:
The installation instructions for the Danco UD-6 says to fill the drive with SAE-1 40 oil. What is that?

Marty - I looked at that in the instructions and see what you mean, there's a little space between the 1 and 40. I have to think they meant SAE 140 weight "gear oil". This is based on what I've seen inside two UD-6 gear boxes I popped the top on. I suppose the next question would be "is 140 gear oil the best stuff to use" - and I don't know the answer to that. I'd see what Charlie and others think first, but it's probably ok.

Harry,
140 wt oil would almost be like grease. We have used 90 wt. oil at work in some gearboxes, and it was pretty thick.
The creeper for the 70/100 calls for Hytran or 30 wt. oil. I would think Hytran would work ok in the O creeper also. Hytran and 30 wt. is fairly thin.

Last edited:
Well Marty - I don't think 140 weight is quite grease. A lot of car/truck rearends use 85W/140. It does run and when hot is pretty thin. You pour it out of quart jugs - and I don't really like the smell.

Charlie - what's the right stuff to use in a UD-6 gear box?

I think I would use the SAE-140 as per the manual. Yes it's thick, but it is what was specified for it.

It has that smell for a reason....to let you know when you have a leak.
As in doing a walk around on a class 8 for your pre trip inspection everyday.

If you are ever stopped by the DOT for inspection, and they do have a habit of stopping any pick up pulling a trailer here in IA, it's probably the 1st thing the DOT will notice IF you do have a leak.

Maybe, just maybe I can get this thread going again in the next month or two. This hot humid weather is not helping any. Hopefully I can get a few cubs running and out of the way so I can get started again.

Couldn't stand it any longer. Had to sandblast something the other day, so I sandblasted a muffler.
Anybody have an idea how to get it to look like the original finish? Black is easy, but I would like to have the shiny looking muffler like the O had when new.

DSCF0823.JPG

Marty,
Does that muffler shake out blast media like a pepper pot now? Did they use cadmium or something unobtainable today like they did on the grille?

don't know about down south by you,yet up here we have a powder coater who coats with a very heat resistant silver/chrome look as the outcome

he did the block hugger headers for the SBC in the model a sedan delivery i'm helping build man do they look good

Back