• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Found a Super Cyclops

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dave, so if you just mounted up the deck as it stands you would be running a bit hot on blade speed? 6/5 wound get you around 20% over in blade speed? I have a similar dilemma with a blade I bought for the SX 60. It appears not to fit but the only way to confirm is just removing the deck and see what, if anything needs altered. I researched it before buying and at least one web site indicated it was a match for the Zeroturn.

When I put a newer style deck on my 782, I found it was pretty easy to just replace the PTO on the tractor with one that had the larger drive pulley matching the mower. The PTO was starting to have issues anyway so I just ordered a new one and bolted it on. The newer deck and drive PTO combination has been a fantastic mower for the past 15 years or so and the only other PTO implement I've used on that tractor is a snow thrower. The oversized PTO pully made a nice speed up pulley for the thrower.

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but you might just look into getting the PTO pulley size that matches the deck you want to use.

6" top pulley on this 1

Attachments

• 20220814_103018.jpg
    20220814_103018.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220814_103009.jpg
    20220814_103009.jpg
    821.3 KB · Views: 0
Thank You!!

So, of the 4 you have, the yellow one by the blue tarp, is a 325 and it has the 6-1/2" pulley...
That confirms the FB contact I made yesterday with the seller that also has a 325 w/the 6-1/2" pulley.

The other 3 are all 374"s, correct? One of which has a 5-1/2" pulley?

I didn't really want a HABAN deck on my 982, luckily I found a tractor with an IH 50" deck. I'd had a 129 with 44" deck for 15 trouble-free years and talk about a tractor that was run HARD and put away wet, THAT 129 was IT. I don't think I ever even sharpened the blades but I must have, I know I never replaced them.
I had a watetpump bearing start wobbling inside the bearing housing on my 50", I bought the parts locally, I needed to finish mowing. NEW water pump bearing, top & bottom hausing parts, even a new key for the pulley, $178 and some Cents including tax. The wobbly bearing really wallowed out the bearing housings! But it was impressive how nice the 50C deck mowed afterwards. I did buy the weld-on front caster wheels I never installed, but I did fix up a center roller to mount under the deck behind the center blade and it was impressive how nice that deck mowed after I did that! But once I flip the switch on the pto on the 982 and compare the sound to the Zero turn, the zero turn runs about 30-40% faster than the 982 deck. The result is the zero turn blades stay sharper longer, throws clippings twice as far, I've never seen it leave a windrow, mows much more level. After about two mowing with the zero turn my wife actually said," your new mower REALLY does a nice job of mowing, you shouldn't use your old mowers anymore." MY only regret is I had my choice of a 54" deck and a 60" deck and I took the 54, my 50" deck didn't fit several places, and of course the 54 doesn't fit in even more places, a 60 inch would basically fit wherever the 54 would and cover 11% more area in the same time.

Apparently, the ANSI safety standards for blade tip speed have changed from the 1970's to the present day. The pulley sizing was setup originally to have a desired blade tip speed given the engines recommended full throttle speed of 3600 RPM. Obviously, you could speed up the 50C blade tip speed by replacing the PTO or drive pulleys.

Latest posts

Back