• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

forty eight years....not bad

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mconway

displayname
mike conway
well....after forty eight years the mule drive extension spring on my 1973 ih cub cadet 109 finally let go.....i've got one comin' from Charlie so she'll be back soon....i decided to call the largest cub dealer locally to see if they had anything....when i gave the guy the part number he said...."that's an old one....international harvester....that part's obsolete...." after he said it was an old one....i replied "yup....when they were good tractors...." not sure he liked that but i guess he gets paid to listen so not my problem....but that's just me....

IMG_0283.JPG

Hey Mike - nice story, and I sorta hate to be the one to question it, but how do you know that spring lasted 48 years? Did you buy the 109 brand new?

Mike Conway, guess what happened to mine???!!!??? Yep. I just installed a new switch from CCS and when I went to test run, I stepped on the pedal and "POP"... OH CHARLIE... hope you have more than 1! LOL.. it's only been since 1970.. and yes Harry, I am the second owner, so I know it's the original! I painted it black way back in 1989.

spring.jpg

Hi Harry....i got the tractor from my mother in law years ago....they bought it new so pretty sure it's original....i also have....in the garage someplace....never installed original ih wheel weights for it....

Hi Harry....i got the tractor from my mother in law years ago....they bought it new so pretty sure it's original....i also have....in the garage someplace....never installed original ih wheel weights for it....

Mike C. I also got my 73 from my Mother in law in 1989, After my FIL passed. I tore it apart, replaced anything worn and reassembled with new paint. Other than basic maintenance... it's always just worked.

Funny,I just got that very same spring from Digger a few weeks back. The mule drive I'm working on had 2 adjusting bolts coming out the front instead of that spring on1 side...don't know why it did. Looking at your guys posts I know it will last awhile Lol!

Well, to be honest mine is the brake/clutch return spring. LOL.. but it was so funny ( to me) that once 1 spring snapped on here, then mine had to keep up with the Jones's :cool:

Some people put a bolt on the spring side when running a tiller.

Funny,I just got that very same spring from Digger a few weeks back. The mule drive I'm working on had 2 adjusting bolts coming out the front instead of that spring on1 side...don't know why it did. Looking at your guys posts I know it will last awhile Lol!
The tiller mule drive used two adjusting bolts instead of one being spring loaded. It will work for the mower, just check the tension occasionally to keep it correct.

48+ years on a spring. Now that's QUALITY. Reminds me of the quote I often heard.
"Cub Cadet - buy the best, junk the rest"

when i opened the package....my jaw dropped....either there was big change or what i believe was the original spring wasn't....but i put the new one on and adjusted everything a set out mowin'....all good so far....thanks ccs....
0726211544.jpg

Back