• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Flywheel

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impalla1960

I just picked up a 1872 cub cadet in great shape with a 60 inch deck the problem the guy was having was the magnets fell out out of the flywheel he glued them back in now it’s not getting spark he put a new coil on it. So I’m thinking of putting a different flywheel on it. But are the flywheels the same for a vertical shaft motor and a horizontal shaft it’s a 18 horse kohler

WELCOME! I can't answer your question but someone should be along before too long that can.

I have not had a 1872 so I may be wrong. If the spark you are not getting is for the sparkplugs the magnets have nothing to do with it. They are used to generate voltage to charge the battery,

The magnets on the inside of the flywheel are for the charging system and do not affect the magneto. Try cleaning the flywheel magnet for the magneto if it is rusty, and regapping the magneto to the lower end of the range specified in the service manual. If those two things don't give it spark, the magneto is probably bad.

You may find after you get it running it does not charge if the PO did not glue the magnets inside the flywheel back in the proper order. I see no reason a vertical shaft M18 or its derivatives (MV14, MV16, etc) would not have the same flywheel.

The magnets on the inside of the flywheel are for the charging system and do not affect the magneto. Try cleaning the flywheel magnet for the magneto if it is rusty, and regapping the magneto to the lower end of the range specified in the service manual. If those two things don't give it spark, the magneto is probably bad.

You may find after you get it running it does not charge if the PO did not glue the magnets inside the flywheel back in the proper order. I see no reason a vertical shaft M18 or its derivatives (MV14, MV16, etc) would not have the same flywheel.
Thanks that’s what I thought about the mage nets also

Latest posts

Back