• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

First 'turkey shoot'

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcook

displayname
Bill Cook
Today I took my son to his first standing target 'turkey shoot'

And I have good results!!

We got to the Turkey shoot kinda late, and there was only 2 rounds left. Each round had 12 guys shooting a standing target from 100' using a 12ga. with a full choke.

I shot the first round, and tried to zero in on the pattern. I told my boy where to put the bead, and my son shot the second round. He and another guy each had a pellet really close to the 'X'...the winner was too close to call so they had a shoot off. Again, they each had a pellet really close to the 'X'..this time they got a set of calipers to measure the distance from the 'X'. The holes were EXACTLY the same distance away!! Once again, a shoot off. This time my son clearly won..talk about a kid being happy!!, and a dad being really proud!

This year for Thanksgiving we will be eating a 15.6 lb turkey. And all it cost us was $8, and a really good time between father and son!

Next week is another shoot...and my son already said he wants to go back. LOL

Here is a picture of the proud winner, the gun he used, his winning target, and his turkey
45917.jpg

LOL Charlie!

We are going to shoot trap Thursday, and then hit the turkey shoot again Sunday. Hopefully I will redeem myself
lol.gif

Bill- R U sure the kid didn't "bag" ya there in that frozen bird under his arm?? Or does he just like to out shoot the Old Man??????????

Hugh,

Actually Brandon didn't out shoot me...I wasn't in the round he shot in. So I kinda escaped him being able to give me too much crap about winning.
lol.gif
But he did out shoot the 11 other guys in his round.

We'll see how tough he is this coming Sunday when instead of turkeys and hams, we are shooting for $$
buttrock.gif

We went to the turkey shoot again this week.

This time we got there early, and entered every round. I was pounding the targets...a couple of times almost blasted them clear out of the holders!
buttrock.gif
In two different rounds I had a hole within 1/16" to a 1/32" from the 'X'...AND STILL GOT BEAT!
angry.gif
bash.gif

Brandon almost missed the card on his first 3 rounds
lol.gif
But he redeemed himself in the 12th round. Once again he won in a 'shoot off'..this time we got to bring home a really nice ham!

They are taking a week off for deer 'gun season', but will start up again in 2 weeks.

Wild Bill: Since you like them turkey shoots so much you'll have to come to my fire company's
thumbsup.gif

Jeff: Man, that would be a road trip!
eek.gif

The potent Charles Daly had firing pin issues and had to be sent to KBT in PA for service. While it was gone I bought a Remington 870 Express...and have since picked up a 30" barrel and a pretty tight choke tube for it.

We have won at least 1 round every week we have shot...one of the shoots we were at, I won 3 rounds out of 6.
buttrock.gif

I'm currently trying to find a choke tube that will pattern even tighter
thumbsup_old.gif

870= Good Gun!! Thats what i usually use but sometimes I seem to have luck with single shot lol. For the 870 i bought a super full choke and it seems to do alright. Be nice if they made a tighter one for that gun.

Right now I have a 'Long Handicap .041' choke tube in it. It is a tube for trap shooting. The only rules this place has for the guns is: Must use a 12 ga., and a 20ga. shell must fit into the muzzle end of the barrel.

The .041 tube is 'close'...but it is possible to get even tighter...LOL

I'm looking into a Carlson choke tube.
(http://choketube.com/index.html) I have sent them an e-mail, so hopefully those folks will be able to help me get the tightest/best patterning choke tube for the 870. On a side note...the RemChoke tubes use the same type of threads, and can be used in the Daly
thumbsup.gif

Not for turkeys but a whole lota fun. Foolin with new camera and figured i'd post my biggest obsession.
52240.jpg

Wild Bill....had a little "turkey shoot" of my own this morning...21 lbs.,10-inch beard.Folded him at 62 yards;used Federal Hevi-Shot w/"Flight-Control wadding;#5's,with just a full choke.They are expensive,but they hold a tight pattern even at range.Gotta' love that Benelli M2!Give the Federal's a try next year,you'll like 'em!

bazooka.gif

Latest posts

Back