• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

First tractor,might have some issues... Cub Cadet 72

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SO now you've realized you're on the top of the slippery slope. How much of a ride do you wish to go for? LOL
They each have a heading, engine. paint . wiring. etc. etc... It can be fun too. Keep up the good work!

OK, Ignition questions, if you will !
I am bypassing the wiring mess and running a jumper from the positive terminal to the positive side of the coil. Jumper from neg terminal to ground. Using a remote start to the A (?) post on the starter. After a quick filing of the points, a test light shows a flashing light at the negative terminal of the coil as the points open and close when cranking.
No such light for the coil tower.

See attached doc for my coil testing (Thanks to someone for that post).
1. + to - test shows 4.3 volts on the 200 ohm scale
2. + to tower shows 9.4 on the 20k ohm scale >>>>> Does this indicate 9400 ohms ?? <<<<<

If so, can I pull the tower contact and clean it without harming the coil, looks like a small screw to remove it ?
Does this coil cross reference to a car / truck so I can buy one from the local part store?

It's been a while since basic electronics class... Thanks !!

Brian

Attachments

• cub coil.JPG
    cub coil.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 362
Made a new coil wire and... it runs ! Well, with some jumper wires and some starting fluid !

Next up is rebuild the carb as there is no gas flow. Pulled the 90 degree gas line nipple and it was just about clogged up with junk, same for the carb, tried a quick clean and some carb cleaner but even with the bowl pulled and the float hanging down there is no gas flow. Might get to that tomorrow but now I know for sure it is worth doing.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_20191221_175423_01.jpg
    IMG_20191221_175423_01.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 363
What does the INSIDE of the tank look like?
Clean and shiny, right?? :)

Of course !! Just will need to dust it off a little.... LOL
I was running a plastic gas tank zipped tied to the rusty original tank.

I will either use vinegar or muratic acid once I am done with the carb.

Brian

Carter N series carb question - what the heck is the purpose of the spring loaded ball bearing on the choke shaft ?

I didnt see it until I was ready to put the carb back together. I am struggling with replacing the shaft while pressing down on the ball bearing, what fun !

So... is this needed ???? Really ?

Brian

Carter N series carb. YES, the ball bearing and spring is needed! Carter didn't install it without a good reason. And the reason is to hold the choke in the off or RUN position when the engine runs and creates tremendous vibration. Without the spring & ball bearing the choke would move towards the closed or choke position, burning WAY too much gas and wash all the lubricating oil off the cylinder wall and accelerate wear about as much as possible.

So I went ahead and installed the choke shaft with out the ball bearing, as I am focused on getting it to run.
Next I installed the new seat for the float valve. It is different, has a socket fitting instead of screwing in.
And... with the little pin install and connected to the float, the height of the seat is too high to allow a proper fit of the float.
Hmmm... might have purchased the wrong rebuild kit.
So I figure lets just install the old one as the carb has been soaking and the passages seems to be clear now.
Well, one of the hazards of a non organized garage means I cant lay my hands on the old parts! I know they are there someplace.
This was Sunday, couldn't get back to it due to the holidays. Will check again tonight.

Carter N series carb question - what the heck is the purpose of the spring loaded ball bearing on the choke shaft ?

I didnt see it until I was ready to put the carb back together. I am struggling with replacing the shaft while pressing down on the ball bearing, what fun !

So... is this needed ???? Really ?

Brian
Redvise,

When you decide to reinstall that very necessary ball bearing behind the choke plate shaft, you may get the instructions from Norman at isavetractors.com. he includes printed instructions with the carbs he sells but he's so focused on helping us in this hobby save these gems, I'm sure he'll give the instructions to you.

Scott

Thanks Scott I did purchase the rebuild kit from isave. I appreciate the info.

Brian

Note: still cant find the old valve.

Well, it's official! It's a runner !! And not a smoker.
First outing with rebuilt carb, new spark plug wire and fuel line and a temp gas tank.
Low rpms for the most part, the front tires are ready to fall apart so I kept it casual.
After a several day delay due to some misplaced parts, I was happy as could be to get it running.
Now have to decide whether to restore it or sell it.

I included the pic of me driving to show the lack of smoke, I was pleasantly surprised.
Note the made in USA battery wire connector....

Brian

Attachments

• ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 408
  • iii.jpg
    iii.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 420
  • erewwew.jpg
    erewwew.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 425
I have been hand choking the carb to start which didnt work so I have been using starting spray. Throttle and choke cables are froze so I didnt connect the throttle cable after rebuilding the carb. I pulled the choke cable off the other day. Now I can manually activate the choke for just a second and it starts right up.
Darn good motor !

My uncle from MO is there now, camped out since last week.
Tall guy, will have a walking stick and more than likely a Route 66 cap on.
Keep an eye out for him!
Wish I were there as well.
It was a plan, but didn't happen, this year anyway.

Looks like I will turn around and sell the 72. As I am not set to do a full restoration, I have had a lot of fum working on this.
I have pulled the motor and degreased and pressure washed what I could, including the motor. Reassembled and still runs, always good for that to happen (cause it dont always!).
Thru a primer coat on the hood to cover the rust and make it more pleasing to my eye, also sprayed the grate in the front to cover the discolorations.
Going to remount the mower deck this coming weekend, looks like a fun job!

Here's a coupe of pics for your enjoyment!

Also my thanks for this helpful forum.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_125844048.jpg
    IMG_20200120_125844048.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_20200120_125646131.jpg
    IMG_20200120_125646131.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_20200119_123655824.jpg
    IMG_20200119_123655824.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_20200119_123747763.jpg
    IMG_20200119_123747763.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 386
Red Vise,
I found out later that he bought a little Comet 8hp lawn mower and was tooling around on that all weekend. He pulled out Sunday for the Glades and will be heading back home next week some time.
He had a blast down there and is planning to return next Feb for that show.
I may just load my camper and tag along with him.

Back