• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

First tractor,might have some issues... Cub Cadet 72

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redvise

Hello boys! I came across a Cub Cadet in pretty good shape down here in Florida (that's Sunny Florida...). So I joined the forum here and posted in the New Members section. Thought I would share my experiences with you, and maybe, just maybe ask a question or three. Cant promise the continuity will be great but will give it a shot.
I was able to turn the starter/generator and see the front drive pulley rotate. So I figured the motor wasnt froze and purchased it for a reasonable price.
The air cleaner was off and the carb open to the weather, likely outside . My neighbor was kind enough to help me get it home..

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_123657010.jpg
    IMG_20191123_123657010.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 259
First off I wanted to drop the mower deck to give me some room to work on it in a crowded garage.
Got the deck loose, dropped it on a moving dolly, and raised the mower enough to roll the deck out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_114007416.jpg
    IMG_20191129_114007416.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20191129_114030221.jpg
    IMG_20191129_114030221.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 222
Found how to test the starter with jumper cables and a battery. Tried it the other day with no response.
So Sat I pulled the wires off the starter terminal and used a wire brush and drill to clean up the terminal and a bolt head for the ground. Loosened the bracket and the pivot bolts enough to remove the belt. Hooked up the cables and the starter spun up !!! It wasnt very fast but I dont know what is the correct speed so I was happy to see it spin. Tried the charging terminal to see if it would stop the spin , kinda did but made a noise so I stopped.

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_171525111.jpg
    IMG_20191129_171525111.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 208
Let me mention I pulled the spark plug the first day and have been pouring in PB Blaster and 3in1 oil in the plug hole a couple times.
So Sat I also pulled the hood off to give me more room. Turned the drive pulley in front of the engine and the piston doesnt move. Hmm... Pulled the wire cover of the rear of the motor and turn the pulley in the front of the motor.
And piston still doesnt move... Hmm... not good I am thinkin'.
So I turn the front pulley and I see the rear drive shaft move at the same time but not the piston.

So here's my first question: I would think that if the rear shaft at rear of the motor is turning the piston should be moving too ?
Any help or thoughts are appreciated.
Pics of front and rear of motor.

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_171531143.jpg
    IMG_20191129_171531143.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20191129_171540204.jpg
    IMG_20191129_171540204.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 220
Here's a shot of the the battery wiring that will have be addressed down the road.

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_171549146.jpg
    IMG_20191129_171549146.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 215
Hi, Welcome to the site and it's good to see you here.
It appears the motor has a broken connecting rod, really quite common on a 40 year old machine.
Not to hard to repair and the sponsors at the top of the page will have the parts.

here's a link to the manuals.. you should find them helpful. Manuals

Thanks for verifying my conclusions. Darn it ! Ah well, we will just move on.
A quick look at prices for NOS rods was a bit surprising on a Sunday morning.
Will have to look around some more.
First however is pulling the motor.

Thanks for verifying my conclusions. Darn it ! Ah well, we will just move on.
A quick look at prices for NOS rods was a bit surprising on a Sunday morning.

Yep, it can get expensive.. The EPA doesn't like our "old" machines and have made efforts to stop us getting the parts needed to keep things going another 40 years. You can get offshore parts - as found on that major auction site - for less money. Many guys run'em and they seem ok for the most part.. But many of us like to support the sponsors as found on the top of the page above.

10/4 thanks for pointing that out.
Questions: Using the Manual link from above, what section will I find info on my 72 - Garden Tractor or Lawn Tractor ?
And where will I find the tractor serial number? I see a plate on the motor and the starter/gen. Does the tractor use one of them ?

Thanks

The tractor serial number should be on the rear end, left side, if I remember right...
The data on the motor will only apply to that. same as the starter generator.

Pull the hood and then the cast iron grille.
this makes life much easier.
This is what we did at the IH shop I worked at back in the 70’s.

Attachments

• 0E7D1893-EE6B-4E3F-A5AF-5C1E997CEFAE.jpeg
    0E7D1893-EE6B-4E3F-A5AF-5C1E997CEFAE.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 251
So it spins the crankshaft, but you don't see/feel movement with the spark plug out . . . REMEMBER: the spark plug is NOT over the piston . . . either over blank deck space or over the exhaust valve. Try turning it over with your thumb over the spark plug hole . . . if there's compression, you may not have internal damage after all . . . just one of the dumb things I found out the hard way. :(

So it spins the crankshaft, but you don't see/feel movement with the spark plug out . . . REMEMBER: the spark plug is NOT over the piston . . . either over blank deck space or over the exhaust valve. Try turning it over with your thumb over the spark plug hole . . . if there's compression, you may not have internal damage after all . . . just one of the dumb things I found out the hard way. :(

Redvise, Reynold is correct, the spark plug is above the deck. Here's roughly where the valves and piston are located, note the red circles.

IMG_20191129_171531143.jpg

Last edited:
Well... thats some good news there guys !! I am used to working on little B&S engines and presumed this was the same.
Will check compression after work today.

We have compression !!
Tried a hand spin test and couldnt tell, so I jumper-ed the starter and...
she spun around nicely with a thumpa thumpa sound blowing air.
Good news !!
Next is dropping the carb bowl to check for whatever.

Not for nothing but now would be a good time to pull the head and clean off any carbon, a common maintenance item as found in the manual. This will also let you see the condition of the cylinder / piston top and valves / seats.
You will need a new head gasket for reassembly but the sponsors at the top have'em in spades.

Back