• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Finally got to use the blade!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!
Started out with a piece of 1.25 x 1.5 square stock IIRC.
Biggest challenge was getting it indicated in the 4 jaw chuck.
I took metal shop for half the school day at our county's vocational school back when I was a senior in highschool but unfortunately haven't touched a lathe or mill since then. I remember really struggling with what ever assignment we were given to make using the 4 jaw chuck on the lathe because of having to get it centered using a dial indicator. Guess I wasn't cut out to be a machinist but it still taught me some good measuring skills and a few others that I can use now and then.

You were lucky to have had that chance back then.
58-62 all we had was wood working, nothing in metal except for mechanical drawing class.

My older brother has a wood working shop in his basement and I spent many good hours w/him there. I still have a 3 place candle holder I made with his assistance where he showed me how to highlight the grain of the wood using some white paint and steel wool.
Just recently, I rehabbed and re-purposed the kitchen cabinets he had made for mother and installed in the old home place and put them under the workbench in my shop and next to the lathe and mill

I used the blade for about 3 minutes yesterday.. I scraped what little was on the driveway off. I was repositioning it in the garage so I could put the chains on. We are in the forcast band of 16+ inches over the next few days.... so I thought it was time to put the chains on. I keep the blade in the barn out back, so when I pull the tiller or mower off, I put the blade on. The chains hang on the wall in the garage, so I put them on later normally. I was beginning to wonder if I was even going to need the tractor and blade at all. Having a 4 wheel drive.. I am a bit more lax in clearing the drive. Main reason I have to clear it is so the truck will stay in the driveway. My drive is steep... it is about the length of 2 full size pickups.... I can park my Regular Cab longbed F-150 and my SuperCrew nose to tail on one side and they both just fit. But, it's steep, if I stand at the bottom of the drive and look at the garage, I am looking across the floor of the garage... and I am 6'4".... I've had go out and get more than one vehicle out of the street in the snow...... So my twin-stick 1450, hydro angle 42" blade and my 375lb a$$ are ready for the snow!!!!

You were lucky to have had that chance back then.
58-62 all we had was wood working, nothing in metal except for mechanical drawing class.

My older brother has a wood working shop in his basement and I spent many good hours w/him there. I still have a 3 place candle holder I made with his assistance where he showed me how to highlight the grain of the wood using some white paint and steel wool.
Just recently, I rehabbed and re-purposed the kitchen cabinets he had made for mother and installed in the old home place and put them under the workbench in my shop and next to the lathe and mill
We also had a drafting/mechanical drawing class and I took two years of that also so I think that helped me out a little also but I really didn't enjoy the second year of the class when they made us go from the drafting tables to doing it on a computer instead. Now if only I were a little more mechanically inclined but I'm getting a little bit better with time the more I tinker on the old cubs and these Kohler engines.

I used the blade for about 3 minutes yesterday.. I scraped what little was on the driveway off. I was repositioning it in the garage so I could put the chains on. We are in the forcast band of 16+ inches over the next few days.... so I thought it was time to put the chains on. I keep the blade in the barn out back, so when I pull the tiller or mower off, I put the blade on. The chains hang on the wall in the garage, so I put them on later normally. I was beginning to wonder if I was even going to need the tractor and blade at all. Having a 4 wheel drive.. I am a bit more lax in clearing the drive. Main reason I have to clear it is so the truck will stay in the driveway. My drive is steep... it is about the length of 2 full size pickups.... I can park my Regular Cab longbed F-150 and my SuperCrew nose to tail on one side and they both just fit. But, it's steep, if I stand at the bottom of the drive and look at the garage, I am looking across the floor of the garage... and I am 6'4".... I've had go out and get more than one vehicle out of the street in the snow...... So my twin-stick 1450, hydro angle 42" blade and my 375lb a$$ are ready for the snow!!!!
I bet that hydraulic angle blade is a fun one to operate. Looks like I will be pushing a little more snow tomorrow morning once I get home from work but I'll be manually angling my blade.

IMG_20210216_122936.jpg

Finally had more snow and drifts than the blade could handle overnight. Forced me to get the PTO clutch back on and try the snow thrower out for the first time. You can see in the background I had to cut through drifts taller than the tractor itself.

First winter with this tractor here and also have a thrower for it. Have the blade on it and use my walk behind blower when I get too much snow for the blade.

Love seeing the pictures of everyone's cubs! Looks like your snow rig is almost a twin to my snow set up except yours has the actual stock headlights that in my opinion look much better than the stainless headlight panel with cheap LED's that I made up for my 129. I can't complain about my lights though for the low price I have into them and they give off plenty light. I like yours having the correct wheel weights also. The set of wheel weights I have on my 129 were given to me although I believe mine may have been off a Case/ingersoll tractor from what the guy who gave them to me said. Guess I can't complain for only having the cost of a can of paint and primer into them along with about a 30 minute drive to pick them up.

What would be nice is to have a wing to push the top of the bank back. After a few good storms, the driveway starts to get a bit narrow. I believe I've seen some pics of a few wing set-ups.

Yesterday, I used the 12-32 Craftsman blower to cut the banks back, widened the driveway 4 to 5 feet. About all I could get as the banks were frozen beyond that.

Here’s a couple of fresh pics of my primary snow mover for the last decade...
89CED7D8-2CB2-4900-B730-3B1D513AC675.jpeg

If we get a really deep snow I’ll switch over to my wife’s WH 523Diesel with the two stage blower. However, as has been stated several times in this thread, it is amazing how much these rigs will move when properly set up.
35B69486-4AC2-44AC-989C-3FD04F17DDB9.jpeg

I have a custom bracket on the back that I run a set of IH suitcase weights on. Quick install and it adds almost 200# in a matter of seconds. Hydrostatic, hydraulic lift, and hydraulic tilt makes using this thing a dream. Add to that power steering and the only thing I’m missing is a cab😂. I really enjoy working with this tractor.

Back