• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Finally got to use the blade!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allenpatterson

displayname
Allen Patterson
IMG_20210206_101207.jpg
IMG_20210206_101420.jpg

Well winter finally decided to show up here near the thumb of Michigan. I know the blade ain't pretty and that's going to be a project for warmer weather this year but the 129 is coming along nicely and getting all the little items fixed/replaced and adjusted along the way.

Great advice! I do have it set to trip after but will admit to forgetting I had the float lockout pin installed on the tractor after putting the ported hydro pump and hydraulic lift setup that came off my 1450 parts tractor. Let's just say it didn't take long during my trial run after getting the hydraulic lift on and working that I sheared off the coiled spring pin that holds the lift bracket to the rockshaft that the lift rod attaches to. It was in pretty tough shape to start with and a few times of putting the blade down with having down pressure finished off that pin. That parts tractor has been more than worth it just for that hydro pump and lift, I might still be young but my arm still appreciates having it and can't imagine going back to plowing with manual lift unless I were to come across a spring assist set up and install it on a gear drive tractor. Paid $5O for that blade and surprisingly the trip lock and blade pivot were both free after it spending many years sitting out underneath the sellers row of pine trees. It needs a new blade edge, plow shoes, cleaning and paint but overall not a bad purchase so far. Have fun with your cub and.snow removal! In my area we've probably barely had 12 inches all season, been abnormally dry. People would freak out big time if they woke up to a snowfall total like that after just the few flurries and dustings here and there we've had this year.

Great advice! I do have it set to trip but will admit to forgetting I had the float lockout pin installed on the tractor after putting the ported hydro pump and hydraulic lift setup that came off my 1450 parts tractor. Let's just say it didn't take long during my trial run after getting the hydraulic lift on and working that I sheared off the coiled spring pin that holds the lift bracket to the rockshaft that the lift rod attaches to. It was in pretty tough shape to start with and a few times of putting the blade down with having down pressure finished off that pin. That parts tractor has been more than worth it just for that hydro pump and lift, I might still be young but my arm still appreciates having it and can't imagine going back to plowing with manual lift unless I were to come across a spring assist set up and install it on a gear drive tractor. Paid $5O for that blade and surprisingly the trip lock and blade pivot were both free after it spending many years sitting out underneath the sellers row of pine trees. It needs a new blade edge, plow shoes, cleaning and paint but overall not a bad purchase so far. Have fun with your cub and.snow removal! In my area we've probably barely had 12 inches all season, been abnormally dry. People would freak out big time if they woke up to a snowfall total like that after just the few flurries and dustings here and there we've had this year.

Looking good!!
You will learn that the greater the depth, after the first few passes, you will have a lot of spill over and have to reduce the width of each subsequent pass.

Speed is the secret for plowing snow, and a hydro is best for that as you can make angle etc changes on the go!

You will be amazed at how much these little tractors will push with proper set up, chains and weight.

Looking good!!
You will learn that the greater the depth, after the first few passes, you will have a lot of spill over and have to reduce the width of each subsequent pass.

Speed is the secret for plowing snow, and a hydro is best for that as you can make angle etc changes on the go!

You will be amazed at how much these little tractors will push with proper set up, chains and weight.
I used to plow with the 105 and that tractor even without weights always did a decent job and would surprise me how much I could push. Hoping that I can still give my snow thrower a try yet this year providing we get the snow. Still have to repack the gearbox on it with corn head grease and then I believe it will be good to go. I'm also still considering adding another hydraulic valve to the 129 and put a cylinder on the blade for hydraulic angle.

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_084149.jpg
    IMG_20200403_084149.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 160
I just wish I could get more lift out of the plow. I like to pull up and backslide in some areas, with only about 5 inches of lift, I end up pushing snow up to the area I wish to backslide.

Skip, that's looks great. More photos please, perhaps some of the back side showing the mounting setup. :)

My 149 with a blade has 8.50 two ply ag tires filled with beet juice and a 50 deere weight on each wheel. Traction is not an issue for me. I usually plow at half throttle-speed which is 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 mph. When my Son was young he would plow at ramming speed. Saw his 80 pound body go over the steering wheel a few times.
Had to repair the frame work for the blade.

My 149 with the snow thrower on it has Firestone10.50 turfs with chains.....no extra weight besides me. No traction issues for me.

Skip, that's looks great. More photos please, perhaps some of the back side showing the mounting setup. :)
Ok thanks and I’ll post a few more photos.
Have to give credit to my son for the engineering and welding. I just said I’d like to add some wings to the plow blade for snow and he said ok, bring the blade over. 😊

Attachments

• 847528FB-EF32-4F4E-9CE8-ADF59F2733E3.jpeg
    847528FB-EF32-4F4E-9CE8-ADF59F2733E3.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 207
  • 908071BD-DD61-4DB3-B025-68FEE13E3BB6.jpeg
    908071BD-DD61-4DB3-B025-68FEE13E3BB6.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 207
  • 3E41AA2A-2F1C-4225-B650-9A7C72FA94DC.jpeg
    3E41AA2A-2F1C-4225-B650-9A7C72FA94DC.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 198
Ok thanks and I’ll post a few more photos.
Have to give credit to my son (Joel) for the engineering and welding. I just said I’d like to add some wings to the plow blade for snow and he said ok, bring the blade over. 😊
The top angle iron has two bolts and nuts on each side. The bottom angle has one bolt that’s welded, no nut, fits into a drilled hole. The other bottom drilled hole fits over the bolt that holds the skid piece. Takes about 10 minutes to install or remove.
If you’d like, I could post our material list?

Thank you for the additional photos. Very nice setup. No need for the materials list, looks easy enough to figure out.

Shorten the lift rod or modify the lift plate/bracket to gain more lift by relocating the hole location with an extension.
Be careful with this. You could end up with not enough down travel to follow the contours such as slight convex surfaces encountered while plowing.

I have a blade and thrower and each has a different length lifting rod. The first rod I tried, the longer one, would only lift the blade about 2" max off the ground. So then I tried the shorter lift rod, an 1-1/2" shorter, and it lifted the blade a nice enough height up. I soon realized when plowing that it would lift off the ground at anything but level grade. Lifting rod too short. I ended up building another lift rod a 1/2" longer so the blade could at least better follow the slight convex contours it encountered, or if the front wheels ride up over wet clumps of snow and allow the blade to drop slightly below level grade.

Back