• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Finally Got My Diesel Cub!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joshua S. I agree with Jeremiah. We need to see some pics of you. That is one neat tractor.

I never think of it guys! I'm always the one behind the camera and so far too often I'm not in very many of the pics. I'll try to make sure that I'm in a couple of them for future posts. One of these days, I'm going to take one of my tractors to a plow day and get to meet some of you guys! That'll be great. I've owned my Cub-Kub for nearly two years now and needless to say, I'm hooked. Its funny to read some of the comments that I posted at the beginning of this thread, not guessing that I'd own 6 more Cubs in less than two years! Crazy!

Jeremiah--you know all too well, I had a huge grin on my face
proud.gif

Joshua, Great looking tractor. Gotta love our smokers. I'll be interested in your upgrade as I think I need to change the glow plugs in the 782D. It seems to be starting harder.

Thanks Melody--they are a lot of fun! I'll post a pic of my setup just so it is in this thread, but it looks about the same as the others that are scattered around on here. Once I get some more chances to use the new glow plug setup, I'll post an update. I really need to learn how to post videos on You Tube though because I have a couple of great vids of this thing grading. It is so cool to have it running about 3/4 throttle and just creeping along pushing the dirt like nothing! Nothing quite like a smoker
err.gif

As promised, here are the pics of how I set up my Glow Plug upgrade on the Cub-Kub. So far I really like it but I'll keep you posted this winter when the weather is nasty and those diesels really don't like to start.

244946.jpg

244947.jpg

Next on the list of wants for this tractor is to develop my own three point lift system. I want to create a modified IH three point but using a hydraulic ram as the lift arm. I want to make the hinge point on a piece of 2" square tube that can be removed from the receiver hitch quickly and efficiently. Then I can finally set up for garden implements!!! Im also going to keep my eye out for a set of AGs and V-61s! Its getting closer to my dream machine...
lol.gif

I have now had the opportunity to use my CubKub this winter with the new glow plugs (with upgrade) and the new hi torque gear reduction starter. However, I have been having problems with the starter engaging. I, at first, thought there was an alignment problem although there is really no way to shim these starters like the 60's and 70's GM starters for instance. When the key was turned to the start position it was only throwing the starter gear just to the flywheel. I could line the teeth up perfectly and then it would throw out and turn the engine over. Well, one of the cold days I went to start it and it wouldn't throw the gear nor would it click. I was sure the battery was dead. I got out my multimeter and the battery had 12.3 volts
bash.gif
! So, I decided to check the trigger wire to the starter. It only had 9.8 volts. That gave me an idea. I put a remote wire from the starter trigger post back to the battery and I touched the positive terminal, it instantly jumped to life. So, I'm not sure if my problem is the key switch or if there is something else between the battery and my trigger wire that is causing resistance or sucking all the juice??? Any ideas of things to check would be much appreciated.

On a lighter note, winter just doesn't seem to want to end this year. Yesterday we had about 5" of the wet heavy stuff. So rather than blow it with the Cubbie I decided to plow it with the CubKub. I had my son video and he did a good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Gba-MnoA4

Yes, this is actually me using the tractor this time. I really enjoy plowing with this tractor!

I had the same battery voltage drop between the battery positive terminal and the starter on my 782D due to corrosion of the red battery-to-starter cable. I went to an auto parts store and bought myself a 24 inch switch-to-starter cable. Since the red factory cable is in the wiring loom, I left it in place and cut off the battery end and put electrical tape over that end to prevent a short. Then I installed the newly purchased 24 inch cable from the battery positive terminal to the starter. Note: I did not remove the red cable end from the starter as it also feeds the ignition switch - just added the new cable. Instant solution to the voltage drop and now have easy starting..

Joshua, nice video. I know nothing about the Cub diesels, other than that I'd like to have one.

Myron, good to see you posting!
happy.gif
wave.gif

I had the same battery voltage drop between the battery positive terminal and the starter on my 782D due to corrosion of the red battery-to-starter cable. I went to an auto parts store and bought myself a 24 inch switch-to-starter cable. Since the red factory cable is in the wiring loom, I left it in place and cut off the battery end and put electrical tape over that end to prevent a short. Then I installed the newly purchased 24 inch cable from the battery positive terminal to the starter. Note: I did not remove the red cable end from the starter as it also feeds the ignition switch - just added the new cable. Instant solution to the voltage drop and now have easy starting..

Joshua, I like that weight box on the back. Is that somthing you made.

Jeff and Kraig--Thanks, I really like this thing myself. I'm very happy with the low fuel consumption. It also has a lot of torque. I'll continue to post stuff about this tractor as I work on/update it. Suffice it to say, that it is my main worker and when months go by that it isn't talked about on this site, it is handling its chores without fan fare
err.gif
as it was built to do!!!

Melody--If you take a look back on the last page in this thread, you will see that the block on the back of my tractor is actually a heavy custom made weight bracket for two big IH 96# suitcase weights. I was in a hurry and so I didn't throw them on when we took the video. My uncle, who is driving it in some of the photos, helped me fabricate the bracket. It is bolted with grade 8 bolts through the factory holes that were already in the frame for the Cat 0 three point hitch system. The bracket is made out of 3/8" plate steel sides and 1/2" steel back and braces. It is much stronger than the frame itself but it also acts as a brace to tie in the rear frame rails. Then we welded a 2" I.D. tube underneath so now I can use my hitches from my 1 ton Ram in the CubKub to pull stuff around! This completely takes the stress off of the aluminum rear end housing from the little factory L-bracket hitch. My plan this summer is to fabricate a special hitch system off of that bracket to use ground engaging implements with a short ram hydraulic lift!

Myron--I'm away from home right now but I'm almost positive that the large cable on my tractor was changed as you stated in your post. The cable I am having trouble with is the little one that would go to the start post on the starter solenoid and tells it to engage when you turn the key! If I remember right, I checked the current at the large post of the starter and it was what it needed to be-at or near 12 volts. I'm thinking that there is major resistance at the key switch or to it or from it to the "S" post on the starter.
dunno.gif

I learned a valuable lesson today. I finally decided to change my key switch. If you follow the posts that go back a ways on my CubKub you will see that I have been battling starting issues for awhile. I finally changed the key switch today and it gave me the proper amount of voltage to both the starter and and the glow plug circuit. Evidently my old switch wasn't transferring the proper amount of voltage through it to do what needed to be done on the other other end. My recommendation to anyone with a diesel cub that begins to have starting problems that manifest themselves as a poor solenoid, check the voltage at the trigger wire coming from the key switch. Mine was a paltry 9 volts and that wasn't enough to complete the circuit to engage the starter. It is possible that my original starter wasn't even bad! I do like how fast the gear reduction unit turns but my advice is to check that switch first. Next check the power from it to the "resistor light" through to the glow plugs. You may have issues with your starter and or your glow plugs but just make sure you check that key switch first. It is about three times larger than a switch from the gas engine cubs and has a lot more juice moving through it. So after 25 or more years it could be problematic like mine. I'm happy to say that I can now start the CubKub without opening the hood and hot wiring the starter!
1AA_dance2.gif

265349.jpg

So here the mighty CubKub is ready for another season of snow removal. Just throw on the tin, vbars, and weights...

Joshua S. Good information to pass along. One of the first things the Cub Cadet mechanic replaced on our 782D when I first got it and took it to them to have it checked over was the ignition switch. He said the very same thing.
happy.gif

joshua donald stertz

On my 1512 diesel I by passed the "resistor light" and ran it direct to my starter relay on the glow plugs. That resistor light reduces the voltage to protect the glow plugs . I bought high voltage glow plugs so I did not need the reduced voltage.I really like my 1512 diesel and I bet you will to the more you use it. Just the way it sips fuel is great and lots of torque .

Marlin--It never ceases to amaze me how I need to start with the simple things first when encountering a problem and work my way out from there. Far too often it is the simple things that are wrong rather than the more expensive and difficult to fix items!

Donald--I couldn't agree more. I have been using this beast for the last 3 years and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's like a fine wine, just getting better with age, or so they tell me I don't drink
happy.gif

I can't wait to fabricate a lift system for my Brinly attachments. I haven't made it that far yet...

It's been 2 1/2 years since I posted anything in this thread. Mainly because the CubKub has been doing its business without complaint. I've used it regularly to cut the lawn, plow snow, and pull the trailer around the yard. It has been a very reliable and tough machine. Anyway, last night as I was preparing to start it, I noticed that there was no noise from the particularly noisy fuel pump. I played with it a little but couldn't get it to cycle. I noticed that I can still get one from cub at north of $250!!!

So my question for you guys is, "are there any other electric diesel fuel pumps available that will work just as good or better for less $$$?"

Josh,

Try sourcing Kubota parts from Kubota directly or from Grasshopper......MUCH cheaper! I wouldn't be afraid to use an aftermarket Facet.....

I was at our local NAPA store getting some other items that I needed so I asked them about a universal diesel in line transfer pump. He has a 12V that puts out 12psi. That is higher than the one you sent me the link to Matt. Do you guys think that would cause a problem?

Back