• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Finally doing a 100!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty-

It sounds like you and I have the heat situation in common for the moment anyway...HOT!

Do you have a blast cabinet or do you use a free standing unit/blaster? I have a Harbor Freight special 40# pressurized blaster that works okay but it's involved to get it all set up.

I (we're) still waiting on the finished product of your 100.

Hope your headaches have stayed away and keep up the good work.

Earl,

Yes, it is two Brinly plows I am restoring as Kraig mentioned.

Wayne,

It is not HOT here, it is DANG HOT! 96 degrees for the past three days. Heat index over 100.
My headaches have been fewer, but still come around on occasion.

One of these plows is going on the 100.
The 100 is almost finished, but I still need to crank it up to get it hot in order to re-torque the head bolts.
Then I can put the tank back on it and be finished.

As for the blaster, I have both.
Yes, it is a pain to get the stand-up tank set up, but it is a bigger pain to get me set up for it!
lol.gif

You better have all of your body covered well when that media goes flying! It goes everywhere.

I hope to do that when I am off from work Wednesday so I can blast the bigger pieces of the plows. And everything else if I have enough media.
thumbsup.gif

Kraig and Marty, thanks. I was hoping it was maybe a cultivator assembly that mounts on the tractor like the old Farmall A and such had. A belly mount. Great progress Marty!

Cleaned up some more parts this morning.
Didn't get to do the larger parts. It got hot too fast.
The bolts and pin are for a Brinly sleeve hitch, and the hooks will be tie-down hooks for the 100.

321204.jpg

Made a day of it yesterday, since it was cooler.
Got the rest of the plow parts sandblasted and primed.

321230.jpg

And of course, I did a little extra.
err.gif

321231.jpg

321232.jpg

If I get another Saturday like yesterday, I will be slinging some paint!

Marty, how long is that hand saw blade? What's the story (if any) behind it?

Kraig,

It's a 5-1/2 foot two man crosscut saw.
I found it buried under the leaves about 35 years ago. I figured if someone was going to let it rust to nothing, I would rescue it. So I did.

To look at the edge/tips of the saw it appears to have never been sharpened.
The handles had rotted away, and the wing nuts had lost their wings. The rest wasn't too bad, so I cleaned it up with a drill and wire brush.

I used a Dremmel tool to cut what was left of the nuts in order to remove them without damaging the threads. I then took a die and went over the threads to shape them back up best as possible.
I made some handles out of hickory wood, and bought some more old style wing nuts for it.

The saw has been hanging in my basement for twenty one years unfinished. I did not like the looks of the raw metal, so I decided to sandblast it when I had the opportunity. The opportunity came Saturday.
I sandblasted and primed it to finally protect the metal, and will paint it soon.
thumbsup_old.gif

Marty, I wonder why someone left it lay? Very cool find.
thumbsup.gif

Kraig,

The person who owned the property had plenty of money.
They would put stuff in a shed, or lay it outside and leave it there.

There was a big old McCulloch chainsaw laying there too.
They had ran it low on oil and locked the motor up.

Here's my crosscut saw that's been there about 25 years or so. I also have a 100 too but neither look as good as the ones you have (and my crosscut is only 4-1/2' long).

321261.jpg

Things are looking good and we're still waiting on the 100 pics (but we understand about the darn heat...hard to get anything done outside).

Marty, great progress! I like the saw, I need one for over my mantel. I thought once about having my little brother laser cut one from thin steel, then he changed jobs, lol. Sometimes people do things just because they can.

Marty, shame that some people don't have respect for equipment/possessions. Good on you that you rescued that old saw!

Wayne, nice saw!

I have a one man cross cut that I got from my father-in-law. It's missing the handle, one of these days I'm going to make one for it... It would have also had the add on grip to convert it to a two person saw or for a second hand to grip depending on where you mount the handle. I'll have to get a photo of the actual saw but it would look kind of like this one if the handle(s) were present.

321284.jpg

Earl,

Check around at the local antique malls, you might be able to find one there.

Here is the finished saw:

321303.jpg

Difficult to get it all in a pic.
Here is a close up of one of the hickory handles I made.

321304.jpg

Nice job on the saw handles Marty. It looks like it will be around for a couple hundred more years now.

Earl, just to be clear, the saw in the photo that I posted is NOT my saw. My saw is similar in style and is missing the handles. I will try to remember to take some photos of it.

Back