• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Farmall F-14 and F-12

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Does anyone know what the 4 threaded studs are for on the top of the transmission on an F-14 and F-12? The other end is just a smooth dowel that is pressed into the casting, tightening anything onto them would just pull the stud out. What would they be for?

If it is like my old F-20, there was a thin sheet metal tool box.

Steve, thanks for the response. I was asking for my neighbor. If I recall correctly, the studs are two on each side of the transmission and are 3/8" diameter. However, due to the spacing and size I don't think they were for a tool box.

Another F series question. My neighbor has recently come down with some shoulder issues and can no longer crank start any of his F series tractors. He has been looking for a mechanical starter of some sort and has heard that there may have been some sort of starter that used compressed air. He told me that another friend of his had seen something like this on a Farmall tractor at a tractor show. Have any of you heard of such a contraption? TIA

F series tractors did have a electric start option on the later year tractors.

Tom, thanks. Yes, they did, but they had a different casting on the engine block for that see below. Not an easy thing to add on.
happy.gif

46596.jpg

46597.jpg

KRAIG - You might want to go to the REDPOWER Magazine Forum. There's some very sharp people there on the old F-series tractors. "redpowermagazine.com"

Kraig, I sold my F-12's, F-14's, and Fairway 12 several years ago. Can you post a pic of that area for me. I think it might have had something to do with the rear lift.

Tom, the pictures I posted are cropped from some that Hank Will sent to me. They are of Todd Markle's F series tractors. What area of the tractor did you want pictures of? I'll see if any of Hank's pictures show it or I can try to get photos of my neighbor's tractors.

Denny, thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a look at what I need to sign up for in order to post.

No posts in awhile here I see. My father had an F-20,a 1939 I think, back when I was bitin ankles. Anybody got a pic of one still in use?

I have been very lucky to make friends with some guys that own some very nice F's and my first time plowing was with a F20 & a F12w
I gots pics to prove it hehe
69981.jpg

me on the f20
69982.jpg

this F12 wakashaw was awsome
69983.jpg

let me know if ya want to see more

Lookin good Don, Do you own any or just borrow? Dads F-20 had the himler? road gear and hand brakes for the rear axle. I would love to have Dads F-20, but it was sold for lack of storage space/divorce to my mother. Dad said his would run on kerosene also, any thoughts?

Dads F-20 was red with with rear wheel weights. He had her tuned good too, she would blow smoke rings in the dead of winter at idle. Scared the crap out of me as a child, even though it is one of my best memories from my childhood.

Todd, no I don't own any F's but have had the oportunity to drive a few and am looking forward to attend Brad's plowday in Oregon again this spring so I can drive em again. This past summer /07 my 2 boys and i came across a McCormick OS-6 Orchard that has been in a family members possesion for many years & if all goes well it will be ours by next summer.I was very excited to show my friend Brad a picture if it and he brought to my attention it was a very rare model of only 831 produced ( eyes wide open) then he said would you like to drive one!! Yup made me want the one we found even more. I was discing on it for about 3 hrs & only got off cause it was dinner time lol
70005.jpg

here is the one we hope to aquire
70006.jpg

and here's the one I got to play on.

Don, Dad called it a Himler. He said that his F-20 had a higher (faster) road gear than the F-20 that a neighbor had

TODD - I think You mean Heisler, They made overdrives and other accessories for IH tractors clear up until almost 1960.

Anyone have a pic of the F called the "Regular" they would post? Iron steering wheel and where the long steering column connected, it was not enclosed. Had open finger like projections. Had to grease that puppy several time daily!!!

Thanks for the pics Charlie. Those have an enclosed casing where the steering column and the downward connection (to front wheels). One we had did not have that. Stick both your hands out, now intermesh the fingers together.Thats how ours was.The tractors, except for the steering column are same.

Back