• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Farmall 560

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
I am thinking about a 560, its duties will be a loader on front and able to pull a haybine, rake, baler, and a 2 or 3 bottom plow.

When I go to look at one what should I inspect or look for as far as trouble points? I have read that they did a rearend recall and stamped the serial plate with a diamond.

also if anyone has some broucures they would like to share I would be interested in seeing them.

to add to my questions, how far is too far to drive a 560 home?

How bored do you want to get? I once drove a combine from the E Moline plant to just north of Bloomington. .....at 12 mph!!!!!! Boring, yes.....combine home, yes.......

bill ill watch that tommorrow, steve thats over a hundred miles, so 40 or 50 miles on a 560 would be ok for the tractor to get it home??

Jeff,
A 560 will move right along in road gear. You looking for a gasser or diesel? Fast hitch or standard drawbar? Wide front or narrow front? Lotta 560's out there. The gassers will usually command less money than the diesels.

standard draw bar, wide front, gasser..

so what do you think 15mph or lower?

297143.jpg

560s are a very good tractor. Two neighbors each had one. Both diesels, fast hitch and with TA. TA is free wheeling when engaged so never use TA when going downhill. Years ago we took our M around 45 miles one way to mount a cornpicker on it. Left around six in the morning and got back late afternoon.The 560 should easily handle a four bottom plow even with standard drawbar. Look at the wear on the drawbar. If the drawbar is worn at an angle downward then the PO had ground engaging implements such as a disc setup wrong. If worn level then the PO knew how to set his ground engaging implements. I'd say... GO FOR IT!!!
happy.gif

I was going to say around 20 MPH. Looks like 16+ MPH by what Charlie posted. Marlin's right about the free wheeling TA's. A quick check of a TA is to put it in gear, let out the clutch, and pull the TA lever back once you're moving. The tractor should slow down and not stop. While moving with the TA lever back, push both brakes down and if the tractor stops, the TA is out. Not a big deal if the TA is out. Alot of the old girls have bad TA's. Don't let that be a deal breaker. When you find one, check all the fluid levels, dump in some gas, and drive it home.

Don't overlook something like a 504. A real 3pt. hitch can be very useful for many applications (including 3pt. sickle mowers that are very common and cheap).

Haying doesn;t take HP, it takes a nimble and agile tractor with an independant PTO.

Also, don't discount a gas 706 or similar....often these are just as cheap as 560/656......

Steve,
How are 560 gas tractors versus 706 gas tractors on fuel? Never had a 560 gas myself. But I have heard 706 gassers are fuel hogs. Of course, wouldn't be a main farm tractor, only a haying tractor though, so might not be an issue. And I agree with ya on the three point being very handy. Rear blades, box blades, mowers, etc.
happy.gif

Early 706 had same 263 engine, but wound a little tighter.

All the IH gassers drink fuel under load...our 656 w/263 burns a lot of it on the 6 row planter, but for haying, having the TA means you can idle back some and nothing in the hay field pulls hard.

544 utility would also be handy....as would a 606

A 263 engine takes more gas, can be made into an 806 engine by removing sleeves and installing 806 pistons. I don't recommend this. however the same engine can be bored to a 291 or 756 gas engine. Both owners and dealers have recommended this since that engine was better on fuel consumption then the 263. A 460 row crop or utility is also a good choice and a 544 with either version. The 544 is a bit more robust than the 504. My ex brother-in-law bought a used 560 with straight drawbar and was a gas engine. He loved it as an all around tractor.

A Massey Ferguson MF65 is one heck of a tractor. The multi power is also a free wheeling when used. Our gas wide front row crop that we bought used in 1971 sipped gas. Plenty of power, cat 1 3 point, live and ground speed pto, 12 speeds forward, hi-low three speed with four reverse. They were also available with an eight speed transmission that didn't have multi power.

Doesn't take that much HP to run a baler....worst part about a 444 is finding one with PS....power steering is a MUST with a loader!!!!

Jeff, my cousin has been cutting and bailing hay for decades with a 444 with loader.

I found a 444 with power steering but its 1000 more than I will have in my piggy bank.

Kraig can you give me some pics/info on the cutter,rake,and baler he uses witrh his 444?

I hijacked my own thread
bash.gif

Jeff, I will see what I can find out. It has been a few years since I have helped him put up hay.

Latest posts

Back