• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Evolution carbide chop saw

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
Anyone have an Evolution Edge 2 or 3 carbide chop saw?

How do they work, quality, cut quality?

Thinking about replacing my Dewalt abrasive chop saw before my next build project.

All comments welcome.

no room for a band saw.....
happy.gif
happy.gif

This is one of the saw blade style, not the big cut off wheel......

Without the picture, it seams to be similar concept to the larger Amanda circular saws we have at work. We load 14 ft bars in to chop them down. I only thought you could get the cut off wheel style. Interesting, I have access to bandsaws at work and through friends, so I only have a hand grinder and sawzall. Plus a tiny garage, I'll be interested in how it works out for you Steve

It looks like I figured. It's strange to me to see an actual saw blade on it instead of the cut off wheel. I'm thinking it will work out nicely for you Steve

STEVE - You should have bought the Rage 2. SON bought one on introductory sale at Menard's 3-4 years ago. $199.99 and used it on a project, called me half way thru and raved about it. I bought mine the next day. I have a 40W plasma cutter, 4" x6" band saw, 14" Dewalt abrasive saw, couple Sawz-All's and the Evolution is my cut off tool of first choice! I cut a piece of 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" cold rolled the other day perfectly square, smooth, in ten seconds. My old band saw never cut square, would have been an eighth inch out of square. The Evolution cuts weld ready joints. Smooth, maybe a small burr a swipe or two with a file removes. The vice is accurate enough to make miter cuts. You can use the Rage 2 on steel, wood, or plastic. It's even replaced my Delta miter saw! Best $200 I've spent on a tool in a long time.
Word of caution, use personal protection equipment. Goggles or full face shield, headphones, not that it's so noisey but hot sharp slivers of steel in the ears can be messy. It tosses a spark every now and then when cutting, no where's near as bad as an abrasive saw.
Evolutions US headquarters is just east of the big truck stops on Northwest Blvd. On the NW corner of Davenport, across I-80 from M.A. Ford custom tooling mfg. Evo does warrantee and reconditioning and resharpening at that location.

I have a good miter saw for wood and plastic......

The northern cold saw got good reviews.....better tham the rage 2......I am hopeful they are correct.

I know it will be better than a abrasive wheel chop saw!!!!! Have one of those already....don't use it!

313306.jpg

313307.jpg

Tried out the new dry saw today....this is my new favorite tool!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Cut clean and square without any sparks to speak of and quickly with no pressure to feed.......win, win, win!!!!

Steve B. Fantastic!!!! I was going to ask what you're doing with your old saw only now I'm saving up for one of those. I like the clean cut and NO SPARKS.
happy.gif

Single miter up to 45 degree, just like a fiber disk chop saw. Capacity to 4", 3.25" mitered.

That's good news Steve. I've never been a fan of the abrasive chop saw. To messy and noisy. I've been watching and waiting for someone I trusted to give a review.

Thanks for that. Curious to the noise levels?

Steve-

How are you liking the saw after 6 months with it? I have a few projects that would go much faster with one of these.

Still working great. Used it a few weeks ago on 2" tube and built the whole disk with it.....still think it was money well spent!

I did end up buying one (Northern Tool version) and it survived building a new ~30' enclosed trailer for my sailplane last year. On my second blade now, and probably about time for a third...

I have an abrasive saw on a steel table that is going to get moved to the machine shed. Haven't used it for several years. Picked up a Chinese band saw, did some tweaking on it and have been using it ever since. Cuts square, angles have to be manually set and blades are available at Menard's & other places. If I break a blade I weld it myself. Don't do a lot of metal work any more so could not justify the cost.

What is the proper name for these saw blades? I'm sure if I went to HD or place like that to ask for a circular saw blade that cuts steel they would look at me funny. I'm thinking anything has to be better than the abrasive blades throwing sparks everywhere.

Back