• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Engine swap from a narrow frame to wide frame

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyd

Hi All,
Been a long while since I've been working on my Cubs but time has finally come to get some work done. I have a 147 with a good motor and a 1450 with a weak motor. I'd like to swap motors and put the good motor in the 1450 which is all set up for winter with a blower and cab. I know the 147 is a narrow frame and the 1450 is quiet line wide frame but want to know if the motors will swap by just unbolting some stuff on the 1450 motor and putting it on the 147 motor. I know you guys have probably done this many times but just wondering if I'm gonna run into some unforeseen problems. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Joey D.

You're better off rebuilding the AQS Motor. The 147 engine probably doesn't have the threaded boss for the muffler box. I know the 147 is an S/G engine, so the S/G would stick out the RH side and not allow the QL cover to be put on. I would do a +.010 hone, new piston, rings and rod, and a valve job. That and a new head gasket she should be good as new, and everything would fit! Drop it off, I'm only a few hours away and have all the parts. I've done tons of these for members.

Hello joeyd., I'm with Kenny. Rather than "patch & cobble" it, have him freshen it up and you'll be set for another 20 / 30 years.

I have to agree, it would be MUCH easier to rebuild the K341AQS that is already in the 1450. Actually, going the other way putting the engine from the 1450 into the 147 frame, my opinion, its easier to adapt "backwards" in this case.

Here are the differences that trying to put an earlier engine, including one from a 1x8/9 wide frame into a Quietline chassis.

The 1450 uses a gear drive starter and stator on the flywheel. The 1x8/9 and narrow frames use a starter/generator that hangs off the side of the engine. They don't use the same mounting holes. The voltage regulator is mounted to the engine on the 1450, the 147 is on the grille and a 1x8/9 is under the seat. So wiring modifications would need to be made.

The 1450 has an electric PTO, the earlier one use a mechanical PTO. There are 4 studs that thread into the front of the block on the AQS engines, the older engines do not have the holes.

The AQS engine has all the "tins" that completely cover the engine, and the large muffler box on the front. Not sure all the holes are there to mount the tins on a non-AQS engine.

The carb on the 1450 uses completely different linkages and mechanism. The air filter base/cover is different so the side panels fit, the cables mount to a bell crank on the blower, where the older engines it goes more directly to the carb.

We had considered putting 12 horse from a 126 into a 129. That would still be a bit of work, but they are a much closer match than going into a quietline.

Hey Kenny, Scott and Mike - I appreciate the advice. I don't want to get into a situation where In have to cobble things together. If it was a straight conversion I'd do it but you guys pointed out some things I didn't consider. So a rebuild of the the 1450 motor is the best idea but I'll have to wait to spring though because the 1450 is the winter cub and it'll need to be in service pretty soon. I can get through another winter with motor the way it is, just uses a lot of oil and blows a lot of smoke on start up. I also need to replace the bearing at the end of the driveshaft on the QA-42 snowblower that went south last winter - does anyone know where I can get that bearing, I hope it's not NLA?

Joey ditto on what the other guys said I’ve rebuilt the Kohler aqs engine for one of my 1450 project tractors it’s dirt simple if you have the Kohler engine manual

Joe, I sent you an email. I had a similar engine in a Deere 214 that only needed a quick hone and rings. She's been purring for 3 years since then with no issues. Some of my customers want a show quality painted engine. If that's the case then it better be squeaky clean when I get it. And then again I'm not a painter nor am I set up for professional painting. I leave that to the owner. My job is to give you a perfect running motor which is what I do. Have you considered any upgrades from Dave Kirk (Kirk Engines)?

The QA bearings I need are the needle bearings on either side of the drive sprocket. I think they are IH pt no. 387835R1 replaced by 387835R2. Anyone know where to get them?

Joey, CC Specialties carries them. Looks like $9.50/each plus shipping. Click the link and scroll about half way down the page:

Snow Thrower Parts

Sorry I hit reply too soon. Thanks for finding those bearings for me. I should have known to look there. A few years back when I was really into these cubs I bought a bunch of stuff from CC Specialties - I think that's Travis right?

Travis started CC Specialties but Charlie, aka Digger owns it now.

Back