• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Engine oil

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank goodness its only approx. one quart! What do you think about the lack of zinc in modern engine oil?
I hope your putting 1-1/2 quarts of oil in your 10,12,14,& 16 hp Kohler's. See my third sentence in my above post. Shell Rotella has plenty of ZDDP. That's what I use. The valve springs in Kohler engines have very low spring pressure, not at all like a high reving V-8 with high lift long duration racing cam shafts. The need for ZDDP is directly proportional to the amount of valve spring pressure. ZDDP doesn't make me loose ANY sleep.

I hope your putting 1-1/2 quarts of oil in your 10,12,14,& 16 hp Kohler's. See my third sentence in my above post. Shell Rotella has plenty of ZDDP. That's what I use. The valve springs in Kohler engines have very low spring pressure, not at all like a high reving V-8 with high lift long duration racing cam shafts. The need for ZDDP is directly proportional to the amount of valve spring pressure. ZDDP doesn't make me loose ANY sleep.

5 pints anyway - :) , approx. How much ZDDP is in Rotella?

Last edited:
The Rotella that Denny is talking about it 15w-40 DIESEL oil. He had an OBS 7.3PSD and used the same oil in his Cubs. I used to use the extra that I had for my 6.0PSD. I bought a case of Rotella Straight 30 weight at a store that was going out of business, and have been using that in my Cubs. I quit using the diesel oil when I switched to 5w-40 Full Synthetic for my 6.0.

I run OEM Cub Cadet SAE30 oil, purchased at my local Tractor Supply. Today, I changed the oil for my 1050. It purrs like a kitten.

The Rotella that Denny is talking about it 15w-40 DIESEL oil. He had an OBS 7.3PSD and used the same oil in his Cubs. I used to use the extra that I had for my 6.0PSD. I bought a case of Rotella Straight 30 weight at a store that was going out of business, and have been using that in my Cubs. I quit using the diesel oil when I switched to 5w-40 Full Synthetic for my 6.0.
SCOTT - I called Shell's ANSWER MAN for oil questions a couple times just to ask how much ZDDP Rotella had. He said all the different viscosities had some, but depended on it's rating, but the 15W-40 I used in my 7.3L was 1400 PPM. Guy I talked to one time said the straight weights, 30W, 40W, think there was a 50W mostly to use in Detroit Diesel engines, the screaming 2-strokes, not the big 4 stroke Cummins Clones.
SON is running 10W-30 Rotella T-5 semi-synthetic in my old 7.3L now, has run 2-3 changes of it. It was his daily driver 7-8 miles to/from work for about 6-8 months. The semi-synthetic lighter weight oil made it start unassisted after work much easier. I ran a couple changes of 10W-30 every winter for the same reason when it was my daily driver. It really helped starting. I also got my best fuel MPG with 10W-30 oil on those nice spring days too.
I have not talked to SHELL since ROTELLA changed to their T-4, T-5, & T-6 formulas. I suspect it still has ZDDP, it's rated CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, and CH-4. The old pre T-4 stuff was rated the same except the CK-4 didn't exist yet, and it also has an SM spark engine rating. I'm switching my old flat tappet gasoline engines all over to Rotella 15W-40 T-4. The valve springs have REALLY low pressures, no need for much ZDDP, I always thought it was funny, I started using Rotella for my 7.3L PSD, and it was the ONLY engine I used it in that didn't need ZDDP, it had those funky ball mounted rocker arms, and some sort of roller cam followers, I can't remember if it had roller tipped rocker arms or not, might have.
Far as what works in my old FARMALL M & Super H, some people still put Non-Detergent oil like the 1939 owners manual recommends.
I used Mobil 1 in my 2006 Volvo S40, using Mobil 1 in my 2018 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi. Since I'm only driving +/- 3000 miles a year on the RAM I change the oil once a year. Short trips and stop & go driving are harder on oil than long highway trips. Seems like every trip I make is 5 miles each way.

1629981003358.png
1629981003358.png

Interesting information. I guess it is one of the few cases where conventional dinosaur lubricants are better than entirely man made.

Due to the low spring rate used in these flathead Kohler engines, a high Zinc content oil, or additives, really aren't needed. Remember the days when Briggs & Stratton ran plastic camshafts? The spring rates didn't change, just the cam material and these seemed to last just fine. We have the advantage of low tappet/cam forces due to the light spring rates and relatively low rpm that our engines run. In all my years of working on small engines, I've never seen a spalled cam surface or lifter.

Back