• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Engine oil

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Olsen

IHCC Supporter
What oil is everyone using these days. All I can seem to find anymore is full synthetic or a synthetic blend. No Dino oil and no straight 30 wt at all. Thank you.

I use John Deere Torq-Gard 30wt in my Original. In the K301 that David Kirk rebuilt for me to his "Killer Kohler" specs., I use full synthetic 10W-30.

TY26790-TAKE-2-Media-JD300Wx300H

My Kohler dealer told me one time that all of his suppliers want to do destructive testing when they have open houses for their dealers, and many times they find that the engines they take apart have not even seated the rings because of how slippery the synthetic oil is. He cautioned to always break in with Dino oil, and once broken in, you can run on synthetic.

My Kohler dealer told me one time that all of his suppliers want to do destructive testing when they have open houses for their dealers, and many times they find that the engines they take apart have not even seated the rings because of how slippery the synthetic oil is. He cautioned to always break in with Dino oil, and once broken in, you can run on synthetic.

Jim, correct! Always use dino oil for break in.

What can I say, my brother works at a JD dealer and I get a discount on the stuff. :drool2:

How long till you know it's broke in?

there have been many oil debates on this forum. Some got pretty nasty too.. I've learned to say, "it's your tractor, you decide what happens". there are so many opinions and ideas that get presented as the end all of fact.. it can get crazy quick. If your doing a "break in", after the second oil change, do the switch over. And that's my opinion! LOL

If you want to know what oil and change interval is acceptable, read the owner's or service manual for the engine.

Straight 30W is what belongs in a K-series in warm weather, but....don't run that in a Command. What is appropriate for one engine may not be for another. OP did not specify what engine/tractor he has.

I never cared much for synthetic oil either...until I bought a turbocharged car. The turbo is oil cooled, and runs off of exhaust, so when you shut off the engine, the oil stops circulating, and the oil remaining in the turbo may become hot enough to crystallize into a few minute granules. After this happens enough times, those granules accumulate, and can block the oil pump pickup tube starving the pump for oil.

Full synthetic has a higher crystallization temperature, and resists this turbo-turd phenomenon, increasing the longevity of turbo‘ed engines. It only took me one “STOP LOW OIL PRESSURE” message on the dash to educate myself, and become a believer.

Synthetic does seem to have different characteristics than dinosaur oil when it comes to staying inside of the crankcase too. Sometimes it seems to be more likely to leak, and on other applications, it seems to stay on the interior better than conventional oil. I have not yet figured that out.

David, where's your imagination?? Take out the spark plug,shut off the gas, and run it a short distance off the s/g in gear(... I guess you would still need oil in it) or...mount a big American flag on the back and drive it to town once in a while.....just sayin' :)

Back