• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Engine Oil and spark plug type?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, the old Arco Graphite was a "conventional" oil, but it was supposed to compete against synthetic.
The first iteration of that oil caused Arco a lot of grief, there was a second formulation but it was really no better.
I know our little station paid for 3 motor replacements!

MIKE - I used Arco Graphite oil mostly in my rebuilt K241 Kohler in my Cub #72, about half of the 1400 hours I put on that engine were with 10W-40 Arco Graphite oil in it. That engine has been rebuilt AGAIN and is my 70. I might be mistaken but I thought Arco Graphite was a conventional oil. It did leave a thin layer of black guess you'd call it sludge on the bottom of the oil pan, maybe .030"-.060" thick. Can of Brake-Kleen and several paper towels cleaned it enough to go into my parts washer. I didn't want my solvent turning black. The last half of that 1400 hours I used Rotella 15W-40 diesel rated oil in that engine. The detergents that clean the soot out of diesel engines cleaned the accumulated graphite out before I rebuilt it.
Everything gets synthetic oil now, mostly Mobil 1, but the K321 I rebuilt years ago gets Rotella T6 5W-40 diesel oil.
Son switched my old '96 F250 Powerstroke from straight mineral oil T1 15W-40 to T5 synthetic blend 10W-30 about 2 yrs ago. I'd run 2-3 changes a year of T1 10W-30 in winter. But the semi-synthetic blend T5 was a great match for his usage, think it was 7 miles to/from work. Month ago He moved and has 110 mile round trip commute. He drove the truck a month and now drives his girl friend's Toyota Corolla. Truck is getting close to 315,000 miles on it. It leaks a little oil, the dipstick adapter on the side of the oil pan leaks, but doesn't really burn any oil.
I think it's safe to say ANY motor oil made today is several times better than anything available 40 years ago.

Denny,

Before this post I had never heard of the ARCO-graphite motor oil. Yesterday, one of the YouTube channels that I like (Project Farm) posted this video:

He does fairly unbiased, and unsponsored product testing (I’m sure most everyone has seen something from him). This video, someone sent him a quart of ARCO-graphite 10w-40 motor oil to test/compare to modern oil. I enjoy Todd’s videos, and he does some interesting “real world-like” testing. Maybe not as scientific as a lab, but his tests do show some of the strengths/weaknesses of products. He has all kinds of tests, and has even done several oil tests/comparisons. I’ve spent hours, and have watched all his videos. One big thing his video’s shows is not all ”cheap” products are bad, and not all expensive products are as good as you would expect.

I will say, that ARCO-graphite oil is some interesting stuff. I’m not sure the first time I saw it come out of the spout that I would want to use it. That’s some really weird looking oil......

Glad to hear the “Old Ford” is still plugging along. Still have my Ford Diesel too.

Last edited:
Denny,

Before this post I had never heard of the ARCO-graphite motor oil. Yesterday, one of the YouTube channels that I like (Project Farm) posted this video:

He does fairly unbiased, and unsponsored product testing (I’m sure most everyone has seen something from him). This video, someone sent him a quart of ARCO-graphite 10w-40 motor oil to test/compare to modern oil. I enjoy Todd’s videos, and he does some interesting “real world-like” testing. Maybe not as scientific as a lab, but his tests do show some of the strengths/weaknesses of products. He has all kinds of tests, and has even done several oil tests/comparisons. I’ve spent hours, and have watched all his videos. One big thing his video’s shows is not all ”cheap” products are bad, and not all expensive products are as good as you would expect.

I will say, that ARCO-graphite oil is some interesting stuff. I’m not sure the first time I saw it come out of the spout that I would want to use it. That’s some really weird looking oil......

Glad to hear the “Old Ford” is still plugging along. Still have my Ford Diesel too.

Project Farm is awesome!
Strongly recommend - cool experiments and good content.

While I enjoy most of his testing, in this case trying to compare oils while one of them is physically 40 years old, No Bueno imho

This video a friend shared. Not sure it wasn’t staged, but either way… oil changes extend life!

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/85/05/1901980F-CB8B-4A22-B8B0-FD064EA9EDB9/Need%20to%20change%20oil.MP4

Another friend wondered if it was the result of the Cash-For-Clunkers engine euthanasia.

Staged or not, it reminds me of the ham gravy coming out of the fridge the day after Thanksgiving!

Latest posts

Back