• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Enduro XT1 LT42 Cranks but won't turn over

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. I have an Enduro XT1 LT42 rider and it won't start.
I've had similar issues in the past and I needed to start jumping the old battery in there to get it started. This worked for awhile but the battery needed to be replaced so I did. It's new and fully charged, I'm having an issue where the engine will crank and crank but it won't turn over or catch and startup.
Last year I replaced the carburetor and air filter. And this year I changed the oil before running it for the season with a new filter. It's worked up to now.
I checked the fuse attached to the positive wire and it seems fine.
I'm not sure where to look now. I have attached a quick video here:

Thanks.

Mike, what fuel are you running? Fresh, stabilized ethanol-free? Maybe last year’s gas of unrememberable age without any stabilizer additive?

Fellas, could ambient moisture accumulation or particulate crumb/solids in the fuel be befuddling Mike’s carb? The passages are so tiny it doesn’t take much to really impede fuel delivery within the carb.

Regular 87 gas. The gas is recent. I never added a stabilizer. For my snow blower, I use ethanol free. I thought I wasn't supposed to use ethanol free in this. I have been attempting to adjust some screws on the carb with no luck. I should also note, back when the supply chain was really bad last year, I had to settle for a 3rd party carb off of Amazon and not OEM as my local dealer was constantly on back-order.

Mike there are simple ways to prove many things....my method..prove it has spark with a spark tester or ground plug outside of hole..prove it has compression by having a screwdriver held over the plug hole it should hiss when cranked...plug in ,give it a shot of carb.cleaner and crank,if everything is working it should fire and prove you have a fuel problem...if it doesn't fire it may be a grounded kill wire to coil..remove shroud and look for wire damage...quick tests to get you going in the right direction

Ensure you have a healthy spark, then if that checks out, squirt some fuel into the carb inlet to see if it tries to run.

OK so I replaced the fuel filter, ignition coil, and spark plug. It still won't run. I put a spark tester up to it while trying to run it and both spark plugs (new and old) don't light up the tester. So if there's no spark, and I replaced the ignition coil, what's next in line for me to consider? Thanks.

I stand corrected. I do see the spark tester light up. I think I'm going to check the line going from the fuel filter to the carb. While I doubt that's clogged I'll double check. I'm wondering if it's something with the carb. I know there's a screw adjust on the carb itself, which I have been messing around with. Maybe I should also unseat the electric connector to the carb and re-seat it.

This is driving me batty.

Last edited:
The screw adjustment is most likely a idle speed, or the throttle adjustment screw. Most if not all small engines in the last 20 years have fixed idle and high speed jets in the name of cleaner air. Did you inject some fuel down its throat to see if it runs briefly?

Forgot to reply. I had someone over to help today. We did shoot some fuel directly in and it starts. I think I’m ordering a replacement carb.
Before you place that order. Did you verify fuel is flowing freely to the carb.? Check /verify any valves, hoses, filters. Make sure you have gas coming into the carb before blaming a carb failure. It may be the needle and seat are stuck and not letting fuel in. A reasonably simple fix if it's that.

Did a couple things to it but in the end I think it was the carb. It is working now. Fuel must not have been getting in. Removed fuel solenoid, cleaned it out (but it wasn't that dirty). Tested solenoid by turning the key a little to make sure the plunger was functioning - it was. Was also suspicious the valve timing was off, so the valves were re-adjusted. The ignition coil was a tad too far from the magnet as well, that was adjusted.
Working now. Thanks, all.

My battery on my 2007 Cub Cadet XT3 was going bad. I jump started it a few times using a jump box. (I know jumping the battery could damage the electronic starter) The last time I jumped it and cut the grass, it kept cutting off. I jumped it again and it started once. Then it was dead, it won't start even with a jump. I bought a new battery and it still wouldn't start. I replaced the starter, fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs. It still will not start. I checked the fuses and they are all good. Please help me start my XT3.

With such small passages and them being fixed jet design, it does not take much for them to allow the engine to perform poorly.

Back