• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Early model cub identification

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cub1961

other than looking at the motor, are there some easy ways to ID between an original, a 70 and a 100? i see pictures of old narrow frames online but a lot have no decals or identification.

Well an original has a completely different frame, grille and hood than a 70 or 100. The original will have a belt that runs to a clutch/driveshaft that runs the transmission. A 70 and 100 will look almost exactly the same. The engine will be different. A K161 for a 70 and a K201 for a 100 (7 and 10 horse). I think the steering wheel may be different. I also think the 70 uses a pepper shaker muffler out the carb side of the tractor, and a 100 uses the cross the front and out the starter muffler like most of the rest of the narrow frame cubs. I would say, if the machine is complete… telling the difference from an original vs a 70/100 is fairly easy. A 70 vs 100 would take a closer look.

ok i see that now. grill on O goes all the way up and the hood fits down over it whereas the 100 has a shorter grill and the top of it is the hood. i knew about the belt drive part but some of these photos are tough to see that. thanks for the help

The 70/100 are fairly easy to tell apart. The 7hp is much smaller, has a smaller air filter housing and the different muffler that has already been mentioned, however the 100 did not have the large cross front muffler, just a larger pepper pot muffler. The early 100 had the same steering wheel as the 70. Later on the 100 got a fancy steering wheel with a center cap, while the 70 retained the basic steering wheel with the acorn nut at the hub.

Here's a photo from an early brochure showing both with the basic steering wheel.

70-100_Broc_2_03a.jpg

Here's a later brochure showing the fancy steering wheel on the 100 with the center cap. Note these also are sporting the optional deluxe seat. Both the photo above and below show the larger battery box that the 70/100 had early on. At some point a smaller battery box was introduced.

100_Brochure03a.jpg

The 70/100 are fairly easy to tell apart. The 7hp is much smaller, has a smaller air filter housing and the different muffler that has already been mentioned, however the 100 did not have the large cross front muffler, just a larger pepper pot muffler. The early 100 had the same steering wheel as the 70. Later on the 100 got a fancy steering wheel with a center cap, while the 70 retained the basic steering wheel with the acorn nut at the hub.

Here's a photo from an early brochure showing both with the basic steering wheel.

View attachment 147909

Here's a later brochure showing the fancy steering wheel on the 100 with the center cap. Note these also are sporting the optional deluxe seat. Both the photo above and below show the larger battery box that the 70/100 had early on. At some point a smaller battery box was introduced.

View attachment 147910
Side by side really brings out the differences - now I'll know what to look for right away. (y):cool:(y)

ROGER - Be careful when you start looking at these old Cub Cadets, parts are really easy to swap between models. For instance, The #70 out in my shop has a K241 10 hp engine in it, not the K161. And the #72 has a K-321 14 hp engine with a small 12 hp flywheel fitted to it so it fits into the frame.
I see a LOT of Cub Cadets for sale on Facebook Market Place and other places, almost ALL are missing parts and some hard to find parts. I'd strongly suggest looking in the Classifieds here and buying from someone who really knows and appreciates the machines.

Back