• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Early CC tire options?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John DeBree

With four CC's, two 'O's and two 70's, I'm in need of tires. All of mine are dry rotted. I'm mostly wondering what to run on the front and back of the 'O's. The only affordable option I'm seeing in a 6-12 are ag treads, which I don't want. For something similar to what they came with, they want well over $100 each, which is too rich for my blood. Is there another option, or are tires that size simply becoming obsolete? The rears on one of my Model 70's have 23x8.50-12, which are readily available in a turf tread.

I'm with spndncash on this one, it is amazing how much more life you can coax out of tire with a tube as long as it's not too bad. and or carrying a lot of weight

There are options- the ones at petestires are $117 each, though. I'm looking for a cheaper option. It looks like a 155/80-12 automotive tire would fit. Most of them don't have the right look, but at $40, they are a lot cheaper. Interestingly, there are some more aggressive tread tires in that size, but only in places like India. They're cheap at about $38 US dollars, but shipping would be a killer- if they would even ship. Amazon India won't ship them.

I guess if I do a full show-quality restoration, I'll pony up for the 'right' tires.

John, have you considered placing an add in the wanted section of the forum? You might find some used tires in decent condition for a reasonable price. Can't hurt to try.

I have a couple pairs of old tires. Although they still have good deep tread, they're dry rotted and hard as a brick. I think I'm going to run the wider tires for actual lawn work, and maybe some day pony up for the Firestones ($145 each!) for a show tractor. I mow with a zero-turn, but it's useless to tow implements. I need a way to tow a spreader for seeding and liming, and the old CC is perfect for that. No ag tires though, as it is a lawn.

Actually the ag tires are not that hard on a lawn. These Cubs don't weigh all that much, especially if you don't run weights. If your yard is at all hilly, turf tires can actually do more damage as they are more likely to spin out and rip up the lawn. The exception(s) to this would be if your yard is wet and/or has soft soil, or during the spring when the ground is saturated from the snow melt.

Last edited:
JOHN - Kraig is absolutely correct. The lugged tires seldom spin or slip, and THAT'S what tears up your grass. I have Firestone lugged tires on my 982 and 72 both, were my mowing tractors for years. Neither tractor ever spun and never damaged my yard. Now my Zero Turn tears a bare spot every time I make a turn. But the zero turn does the mowing in less than 2-1/2 hours, the 982 takes 4 hours, and 72 over 6 hours. So I use the zero turn.
The 6-12 GY turf tires IH put on Originals and the early CC's, I've NEVER seen one with worn tread, I've seen the sidewalls with holes ripped in them from flexing and the 50+ year old nylon fibers in the two ply casings can't handle the stress. By the way, those old tires had tubes in them from the plant in Louisville. Dad's first CC was a '63 Original, He traded it in '65 for a 70 thats still sitting on 3 of the 4 original tires out in the shop. The 4th tire had a huge hole ripped in the sidewall while I was blading dirt 6-7 years ago with tire chains on. Sidewall buckled and that was the end. I replaced it with the identical tire & wheel from my 72 from when I installed the Firestone 23-8.50x12's on the 6 inch wide x12 rims.

the only passenger tire that might work on the grass is going to be a mud(lug) or snow tire. Kraig and Dennis are right on point - the spinning will cause much more damage then an Ag tire. Ill go one step further and say even in the soft spring ground the lugs will be less damaging because the turf tires load up and turn into slicks. then you have long brown stripes where you spun to get through the grass or to get unstuck.

Have you tried your local tire dealers? I have bought several sets of tires for my cubs there.

I might have to consider lugs. Our soil is clay, and as hard as pavement went it's dry. It can get very soft in low spots when we get a lot of rain, though. My big tractor leaves dents all over with the ag tires, but it weighs a LOT more than my little O. Ironically, I wish it did have lugged tires right now. I'm trying to pull a 4' drag harrow around a small field I'm working on, and traction is an issue.

Our local farm store stocks Carlisle tires and will order sizes not in stock.

I think all that Carlisle offers now is an ag tread in that size. The only turf tires I've found are one by Bridgestone and one by Firestone. The Firestone is supposed to be 'authentic', but it doesn't look like the old tires I have. Of course, mine may have been replaced a time or six in the last 57 years!

The 6-12 Firestones from Miller tire is about the only option for originality.
I have 2 originals with the stock gum dipped tires and they look alike.
The price is crazy and not worth it.

Kraig made a good point. I looked on a certain social media sale site and found this for 125$ the tires all hold air and you get a most of 70 with a deck for free! or you can get the firestone which is close to the original from millers for 145$
1594431594239.png
1594431820298.png

Marty A Gwinn, thank you for suggesting www.Petestirestore.com. Sometime earlier in another thread, someone had suggested m. e. MILLER tire | Largest Selection of Hard to Find & Antique Tires .

My October 1964 IH Cub Cadet 100 currently has:

FRONT TIRES:
Carlisle 16 x 6.50 – 8 NNS (Not For Highway Use)
4-ply rating tubeless (inflate to 28 psi)

REAR TIRES:
B.F. Goodrich Turf (traction) 23 x 8.50 – 12
2-ply rating Made in USA F60 4585-2 E15265-2.

On 02/18/2020, Kraig McConaughey commented:
“The tires you have on the front are about as close as you will get to the optional OEM “high floatation” tires and rims. The rear tires are the original optional OEM “high floatation” tires and rims.”

Even though all four tires are still holding their recommended tire pressures, I also would like to replace them with brand new tires for safety & performance. I'm also interested in having the new tires appear as original as possible in the "high floatation" style for a Cub Cadet 100. I also welcome technical improvements in today's tires (e.g., 6-ply) vs. yesteryears (2 or 4-ply).

Anthony - I actually think you're better off staying with a 2ply tire, unless you're actually intending to use the tractor for plowing. The 2ply will allow more flexing of the tire to avoid tearing up your lawn when mowing. I don't have an Operator Manual for the "O" or 70/100 but for the 71/102/122/123 IH recommended 6# of tire pressure front and rear (which to me is nearly flat). Later on in the 1x8/9 wide frame manual IH recommended 12# front and rear. I have to think this was to keep the tire soft and allow flexing.

Back