• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

'Early' and 'Late' piston rings (K241)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kashaver

displayname
Kelvin Shaver
I just found out tonight that my K241 I am overhauling has a .020 piston. I have a pretty good piston but I really need to replace the rings. The parts books where I work sometimes list rings for these K series as 'early' and 'late'. I know that has something to do with what thickness the rings are, but I don't remember what the dimensions actually are. I am betting someone on here knows. Can you guys help me decide which rings I need?

Not 100% sure but I think there is a K241 and a K241A engine. I recently picked up a '74 108 it has a K241A engine.

20200209_202122.jpg

K241 is the basic number. I am thinking the displacement in cubic inches. Somebody will correct us if I am wrong.

The A means something specific, I don't remember what and don't have my manual handy. The other letters after 241, such as K241AQS or some such, also have different meanings. I think the 'S' means electric starter.

And then there is the Spec. number which is unique to a particular version of the engine sold to a particular customer as well. . . .

Sounds like you are on to something there. Just thinking that perhaps the spec number could be telling of whether its early or late. My '74 was built in June of that year so if the spec number can help its near the end of the range. I'm fairly certain they stopped making them in October of '74.

My manual shows that an "A" suffix indicates special oil pan and under "Lube Oil Capacity" for K241A, K301A, K321A ans K341A all shows an *. All others show the amount of oil in US quarts.

Latest posts

Back