• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Dump trailers

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
I will be trying my dump trailer out this morning to see if it will lift a load or break something.I would love to see some ideas on how to make a simple lift for a trailer. HELP NEEDED lol

DONALD - Here's mine, please note, It's CANADIAN! ;-) http://www.solexcorp.com/productfiles/pronovost/503.html
The prior owner added composite (gray plastic deck boards) about 1-1/2" x 5-1/2" tall to the frt & sides. Holds about 1-1/3 cubic yard if level full.

Not sure what one would sell for new, I paid just less than HALF what a cheaper but similar trailer cost from Northern Tools several yrs ago.

Wish I had a bigger one, either the 8000# or 10,000# cap. one for my pickup & FARMALL's. As you can see, they also make highway legal versions.

My only suggetions are: 1. Hyd. cylinders need to be as close to right angles to the loads to be lifted as possible; 2. The dumping force will be reduced the closer the box pivot gets to the center of the box.

My old 500# cap. Agri-fab knock-off trailer pivots the center of the box off the axle, and even when loaded heavy in the front, will dump just by stopping quickly or slightly jerking ahead with the dump box latch tripped.

Dennis Frisk

I did look at there trailers before there was one on Kijiji here but was big money. I will take this trailer and have it changer to work if it won`t lift a load. I put a belt on my 129 loader for the pump and must have left the key on because the battery is dead
bash.gif
. Now my charge does not want to cahrge it \clipart.
{bash} THIS MIGHT BE IT FOR TODAY LOL

DONALD - I had figured up the price for the steel to make a similar trailer to this Pronovost and by the time I bought a cylinder, wheels/tires, & spindles I would have had as much or more $$$ in materials as what I paid for this used trailer, and it wouldn't have been as nice. SON & I pulled ALL the sides off a month ago in about 5 minutes to move a 4 ft x 5 ft x 6 in concrete slab on it as a flatbed. Took about 8 to ten minutes to reinstall them again. Think eight bolts, all 3/8" x 2" is what holds the sides on and together.

Story I was told, guy had some sort of HONDA garden tractor with ALL the attachments, including this trailer, and three winters ago when we had 120+ inches of snow he got tired of freezing to death and getting covered with snow from the snow blower so traded for a little Kubota FWA with a cab, heater & A/C, loader, etc. and this cart sat at the dealer for 6+ months. I got it at the dealers going-out-of-business sale for 60% of their asking price. I have NO idea where the guy got this trailer or what it cost.

ALSO, I got in the habit of pulling a battery cable off some of my CC's since I have to do that on my FARMALL's, they both have 12V alternator conversions and don't have the diode installed to stop the current drain from the battery when the tractor isn't running. Alternators have to have a little current to excite the fields I think it is, or they will never charge.

I've also noticed my batteries all seem to last several years longer since I've been doing this.

When I was still planning on building my own dump cart I looked for 2 or 3-stage hyd. cylinders like really BIG dump trucks normally have, They're perfect for the job, but I wanted something maybe 2-3 feet long that would extend out 5-6 feet. I heard someone say the leveling cylinders on "hillside combines" used to harvest wheat out west had cylinders like that. I lurked & searched the Internet and NOTHING, I did find a couple places that would make custom cylinders like that, for over $1000 US.

Since you have a single tube for the hitch on your cart, you might be able to install two smaller diameter cylinders that mount on the bottom down below that tube and gain some angle to raise your cart easier if you're not satisfied, or just add another cylinder the same size as the one you have. You can just "TEE" the lines from your couplers to the cylinders since they will share the load.

Dennis, I dont know whats in your area but I was thinking if I wanted a long throw cylinder, see if there is a truck salvage yard somewhere and get one of those super long throw cylinders off a car carrier trailer.<font size="-2">(Ya I know, fat chance)</font>

ALLEN - Dad actually sold a brand new 40 yr old but never used Midwest hoist like Steve B is copying his hoist from at his last auction the end of June '06. I believe it brought THREE Dollars. He bought it to put under his big new wagon in '66 or '67 until he saw the twin cyl. hoist the neighbor put under his similar wagon. With the Midwest hoists, the wagon box had to be raised about four-five inches which decreased the wagon's capacity and stability and this twin cyl. hoist let the box sit right down on the frt & rear bolsters of the wagon gear.

I ALMOST put that hoist in my truck instead of setting it out for sale with the idea of buying some sort of a wrecked pickup and converting the back half into a dump trailer. If I would have had ANY idea it would have sold that cheap I would have.

Problem with pickup beds used with hoists is there's no structural members extending from front to back and with just the two support points, the rear pivots, and the place where the hoist raises the frt end, pickup boxes tend to bend & distort if used for heavy materials. The P/U beds are almost like semi-trailers, the strength is in the sides, and the frame of the truck chassis.

My Buddy has actually been looking for an old barge box farm wagon to haul dirt, mulch, sand, rock, etc with. I've seen a couple he's looked at, they were in pretty poor shape for what I later heard they sold for. One was a Stan-Hoist all steel box on some off-brand gear and not sure what brand hoist. The floor had so many rust holes it wouldn't have held ear corn and brought $400.

I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted about the dumpbed site. I was trying to show the concept drawing on the bottom of the page. I was thinking this might be a place to get info of a technical nature the help understand/design lift mechanisms. Didn't go there for PU beds as such.
Anybody consider a side-dump assembly? Saw a few of those on different sites.

Let me try posting the .PDF of the ACAD file of the hoist design....

Didn't work....

Some "in lift" sketches showing how the toggle can change the pivot point and lift force calculations part way up the lift (when the load has transferred off the front)...

214671.jpg

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)

looks like a simple idea, I just don`t see how with the cylinder pushing it gets the lift all the way up. The end of the cylinder seems to have something added to make it longer.
1a_scratchhead.gif
, Would you assign parts number so I can explain . Thanks Don T

Very clever design.
Item C is a fixed angle iron backstop. Hole A is one end of the floating linkage. The other end of the linkage is attached to the hydraulic cylinder located at point D. Hole B is attached to the lift hinge point. When the cylinder is at rest it pushes on the angle iron (item C) to expand the hinge. Once the floating linkage is in line with the cylinder, the load is only on the linkage, no longer on the angle iron.
214718.jpg

.....and once the floating linkage is in line with the cylinder rod, the pivot point for the linkage shifts from point B to point A. This shortens the bell crank arm which speeds up the expansion of the scissor linkage. It does so at the expense of lifting force, but by the time the load is that far up the lifting force needs are greatly decreased.

A few pics of the real hoist might help show the bypassing toggle linkage...

214736.jpg

214737.jpg

214738.jpg

My calcs neglect a few little forces here and there, but also assume a lower charge pressure (lift circuit relief set point) than my tractors have, so I'm fairly confident in my lift capabilities.

Rear hyds got added to one of the fleet this evening!!!

A chunk of old white wall tire, to keep the hoist from rattling around on it.

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow"

Thanks for the great plans for a lift on my dump trailer. I wish I would have seen that idea , before I built my trailer and allowed for the lift. A well proven lift.
old.gif

Here is my dump trailer as it is.It will dump a full load as I wanted . I will still make a few changes yet.
215365.jpg

215366.jpg

Back