• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Drill Doctor

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgeorg

displayname
John G.
I received the Doc 2 years ago for Christmas. It puts a great edge on the bits. The problem I have is getting the proper shape. Kind of hit or miss. Depending on the bit size it doesn't seem to put a decent point on the bit. The bit tends to skate around a lot on steel. Using the split point setting helps some, but thats rather touchy to get just right also. The unit I have does have the angle adjustment. On the plus side it does a great job on carbide masonry bits.

John

Playing with my Drill Doctor and it really impresses me. It is real easy to use and drill bits all turn out good.

I have a question, tried spliting the point on several large drill bits and they seem to drill better and faster. Am I just reading more into it than I should? I thought the split point was just to keep them from walking.

Richard it let's them dig in easier since there's two distinct cutting edges. Makes a big difference even in a milling machine not to mention benifits to a hand drill. 135º is my preferred angle for fast drilling , may be to aggressive for low voltage cordless drills in steel.

To add to what Ken said, If you don't split the point, well measure diagonally across the point to the cuutting edge, ok? That is the web thickness. Coincidently (sp?), thats also the size of the material in the hole you will make by not cutting, but extruding. Forcing the steel or whatever your workpiece is out into the actual cutting edge. On a 1/2" drill this may be 5/32 or so. When you split the web, now you are cutting it, instead of just "pushing" it out of the way. That is why using a pilot drill when hand drilling steel helps loads. Once you clear out atleast the web thickness of the finish sized drill with the pilot drill, all your doing is cutting, baby!

And thats what makes the world goes around there.
beerchug.gif

This is the oldest "non updated" post in the thread ***
So just to get Dennis to read it I'm making a new post
clown.gif

What happened to Torin anyway ?
He's not posted in about a year.
He made a good educated post and taught me a little more about drill bits ... but really all that matters is that I have the one I need when I need it !

Steve B - Didn't you get a DD some years ago ?
How (and if) are you getting along with yours ?
I've been thinking lately about getting one.
There's a tool sharpening place about 3/4 mile from me that I have sharpen my end mills and drill bits.
I have them put a "split point" on all of my drill bits but when they aren't open and I forget to remove the parallels from under the piece I'm drilling through and I ruin a bit it'd be nice to whip up a quick fix in the shop.

While you didn't ask me... I have a drill doctor and use it routinely, as my eyes have gotten older I don't seen to be able to do them all by eye anymore. The D.D. allows me to reset all the angles and keeps them even. When I knock the edge off I can still quickly touch it up, but to clean up a really buggered one, I just pull out the D.D., it's not the Rolls Royce, but a good Chevy at least.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" Central, IL (Sblunier) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:56 pm:

BTW, I bought a Drill Doctor 400 this AM...WOW!!!!! They do work, and well!!!!!<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

By Wyatt Compton - Have Brinly, Will Travel (Wcompton) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 02:08 pm:

Do the Drill Doctors only work for 118° bits or do they have 135° models too. I just bought a set of 135° nitrided bits and with some of the stuff I've been doing I've dulled a couple already. After switching to 135° split points I really hate to go back.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

By Bryan D. McMeen, Keeper of the Holy Hy-Tran (Bmcmeen) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 02:24 pm:

Wyatt -

Let me Google for you

http://www.drilldoctor.com/compare-drill-bit-sharpeners<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

<font size="-1">NOTE: I had to update the link as it was no longer valid.</font>

Back