• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Diesel exhaust extension / support bad CC design?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akiszka

displayname
Anthony Kiszka
My tractor was missing the factory exhaust from the previous owner. He had the orginal muffler, but was missing the exhaust extension and support bracket. I ordered the $150 part from my CC dealer and proceded to bolt it all together, 1/2 way through my 3 acre lawn the part failed. I returned the part, dealer got me a new one, and this one failed the same way. Do not waste your money on this part BAD design! Failure anaylisis: CC made the center tube out of stainless steel and brazed the tube to the steel support bracket and the muffler flange. That heavy muffler and heat shields cannot be supported by the stainless. I reworked the brackets so the extension tube could be made out of 1/4" wall DOM tubing, added addtional 1/2 length as well. After welding everthing back together I mill filed the flanges flat. Re assembled everything with new blots and gaskets and no issues.
110925.jpg

Anthony K: Thats good to know info..Thanks. My 782D still has the factory original parts and no issues. I'll have to look (not now..too cold and wet outside) but I don't recall the center tube on mine being stainless. That part you bought (and got twice) must be a replacement contract part. MTD has a tendency to outsource to a machine shop for parts like that when they are out of stock and the sales volume is low or expected to be low. I am aware that this happened several times when I was working at a dealership.

I recommend that you call/email Cub Cadet/MTD (not the Dealer) and complain like hell. Will they do anything? Who knows, but they may change their source for that part so others don't get screwed over. They often will actually listen to their customers.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Latest posts

Back