• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Diesel cub cadets

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdudding

displayname
Joseph B Dudding
I was wondering if i could get some info/opinons on the diesel cub cadets.

Where would you get parts and can you still get parts for them.What kind of time should the engine last how much hour wise.Whats the common things if any that happen to them.TIA,Joey.

Joseph D. Although some parts are NLA most of them can still be found in aftermarket or from the OEM manufacturer, i.e. Kubota and the parts are cheaper than they would be through Cub Cadet. The lower radiator hose is NLA through Cub Cadet and most owners will "manufacture" their own replacement. Now as for engine life expectancy, that is depending on how an owner or previous owner has taken care of the engine and it's usage. If I recall something like 3-4000 hours.AND finally what is the most common thing that can happen to the diesel powered Cub Cadets? <font color="0000ff">You will develop a strong bond with them and refuse to part with your Cub Cadet!</font>
231416.gif
231417.gif

Darn, the water pump just went out on my 882. Only made 2 rounds with Gator blades,Easy-Vac & #4 IH cart to start fall cleanup. May switch the outfit over to the other mower tractor. Got the Kubota parts ordered...hopefully in before Friday.
Shift.gif
Marlin you're right on!!

Joseph,
I've had my 1772 "smoker" for just over a year now and I think that it is great! I just mowed my lawn for the last time this season with it today and will be setting it up for winter plowing soon. I agree totally with Marlin about how addictive these can be. I'm a sucker for diesels anyways but these things are great. You will find that they have a few common problems that can be remedied if you have the desire and cash (i.e. driveshaft wobble, starter burnout, some electrical issues, etc). Once taken care of, you have a virtually indestructible machine. One of the nicest perks that I've noticed with mine is that it just sips fuel!

Paul-sorry to hear about your water pump.
bash.gif

I think my 1512 diesel will fit right in here. It does sip fuel for sure. it was a basket case when I bought it and I did replace the drive shaft with a CV style system found on newer MTD tractors. I also replace the starter with a better starter(spins faster). I have made all the upgrades to the wiring and have not had one problem with the tractor since I worked out all its problems a few years ago. I would buy another if I could get one over here.Since the engine has aluminum in it I made sure I used the proper antifreeze so It would not take out the water pump. I had a huge fire of old limbs and brush burning in my back yard today and have tru powers and 100 lbs of weight on each back wheel.I pushed the pile up as it burned with the 1512 using the snow blade off my 149. I think they are great tractors.
old.gif

Water pump & bypass hose replaced. Mow & Vac'd yard. Seems to run cooler now than before. Boy, do I ever enjoy using my mini-Diesel!!
Shift.gif
Joshua I have lots of leaves still hanging on, so I'm waiting awhile for the winter changeover. The Gator blades really help with grass & leaf reduction.

Paul-that is great news. Next week I'm going to order some parts for mine and do the work that I've been procrastinating on all summer. I need to change the starter (which I have), change the glow plugs, and I'm going to do the glow plug upgrade. I should then be ready for whatever winter throws at us this year!! If you get a chance, email me a couple of pics of your rig. These BIG little machines are great.

I just want to say thank you to everyone for the info on the diesel cub cadets.I found one close to me for sale but I can't get the price where I would like it not saying its not worth it just not what I am wanting to pay right now.Thanks,Joey.

I have a CC 1512D that is giving me problems with the electrical system. What I' have difficulty understanding is how, with the ignition switch in the off position I hear something clicking. If I disconnect the positive battery cable...attempt to reattach it...I see some slight arcing with the terminal...I'm thinking something is shorting but I don;t know where to start looking.

Larry N, Smith

The diesel ignition switch is set up so from the off position turn it to the left and the electric fuel pump will run and the glow plugs will get power.Move the key far right and the starter will turn,let go of the key and the key will fall in the run position and supply power to the fuel pump only. This is the way my 1512 Diesel switch works.I find even with the glow plug upgrade it takes about 20 seconds for my 1512 to start and run smooth.I think the 15 hp diesel is a great tractor engine for a garden tractor, they do it all while using less fuel than any other engine that I have here.I would like to know what the difference is between the 782D and the 1512D and no one has explained that to me.I think it was built with left over parts from IH 782 Diesels. I have to replace the fenders off my 1512 with a better shape part I got from Frank C . They are off a tractor that Frank junked a few years back. I think it was a 1811
1a_scratchhead.gif

I would think if your switch does not work like my 1512 then you need to replace it !

Donald, the only differences (that I am aware of) between the 782D and 1512 are the colors, decals and vent holes/ridges on the 1512 side panels. Other than that, they are identical.

Back