• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Decisions, Decisions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orry Allison

displayname
Obiwan
I think i have this post in the right place.

Ok so need some feedback. I found some tractors locally and need to know what might be a better value. All three seem to be in good condition body wise.

So first is a model 582 for 475$ has a deck, but has some compression loss but runs its has 400 hours on it.

Second is a 125 for 450$ runs good, no deck and has rear lift. Could possibly be a good match for my 124 though.

Last is a 1863 for 700$ has a deck about 1060 hours on her and runs good.

Well Orry - even tho you say they all seem to be in good condition body wise some pics would be real helpful. You don't mention what your useage or plans would be for the tractor so it's really kinda hard to say what's the better value but here are my current thoughts.

I believe the 582 will have a 16hp Briggs engine so I'd probably stay away from it especially at the $475 price.

The 125 doesn't have a deck but the rear lift is a nice feature. It would pair up nice with your 124 if you're looking to have very similar tractors. Don't know going prices in your area of the country but just off hand since it doesn't have a deck the $450 price seems a bit high.

The 1863 is the newest of all and could be a nice tractor. It was made by Cub Cadet Corp (not IH) between 1993-97, and should have an 18hp twin cylinder Kohler Command engine. For $700 if it has a deck and runs good I'd say this is probably the "best value", but again I don't know what you intend to do with the tractor.

Thanks hydroharry,
Well probably going to be doing some yard work with them mowing of course but I do have future plans using them with implements for a garden and hauling wood and such, that is when I can find some attachments to buy. Here in arkansas it seems to be kinda hard to find these, not sure why that is though. I'd have to do some reading on what all can be done with the 1863. Is it considered a garden tractor or lawn tractor?

A lawn tractor usually has a flat bar with a hole so you can only pull something.
A garden tractor has a lift and a setup where you can use rear and/or front attachments like a turning plow, disc, cultivator, snow blower, etc.

FWIW, I'd vote for the 125. Price may seem high (he'll come down if you don't show him this post). The rear lift is a plus that offsets the lack of a deck. The day of the 125 to mow with is in the rear view mirror. The day of the 125 as a worker may never go away. That said, how much do you need another TRACTOR and how much does he want to part with it? I've got one left, mower deck and all, that I'd give you if you wanted to make the road trip. :) If you can get the 125 for $300 I think you'll have done well. Just saying.

FWIW, I'd vote for the 125. Price may seem high (he'll come down if you don't show him this post). The rear lift is a plus that offsets the lack of a deck. The day of the 125 to mow with is in the rear view mirror. The day of the 125 as a worker may never go away. That said, how much do you need another TRACTOR and how much does he want to part with it? I've got one left, mower deck and all, that I'd give you if you wanted to make the road trip. :) If you can get the 125 for $300 I think you'll have done well. Just saying.
Where are you located fcurrier?

Orry - I don't know if there is a specific "standard" that all manufacturers use but here's what I've found over the years. A Garden Tractor will always have 12" rear wheels (min.) or sometimes larger and is designed to handle ground engaging equipment, like a turning plow, snow/dozer blade, rototiller, rear blade, etc. A Lawn Tractor will typically have 8" or 10" or even smaller rear wheels with more of a balloon type tire, and may or may not have an actual frame. It will have a mowing deck and may be designed to handle some light duty optional items like a snow blade or thrower. Some manufacturers have a 3rd category called "Lawn and Garden" or even "Yard" Tractor. It basically fits in between these 2 categories but will not have the 12" rear wheels. And YES, there are always exceptions to this, but I've found over a long time that the 12" rear wheel holds true for most manufacturers - if it has 12" rear wheels it's a Garden Tractor.

TractorData.com is a good website to use for a quick reference for specs and other data about tractors. Here's a link to it for the 1863 you're considering.
http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/001/1/4/1149-cub-cadet-1863-engine.html(I don't know why they use "lawn tractor" in the link name. When you look at the data they clearly call the 1863 out as a Garden Tractor).

Hey - if you make the road trip up to see ole Frank besides making it a fishin' trip you can also bring back some spuds and maybe even some timber. :errrr:

Well I stand corrected, I guess there are some GTs that a close to me. I found this 71 today on Craigslist. Yall think its worth it? Needs a little tlc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200909-121607_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200909-121607_Chrome.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 285
  • Screenshot_20200909-121534_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200909-121534_Chrome.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 296
  • Screenshot_20200909-121529_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200909-121529_Chrome.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 298
  • Screenshot_20200909-121523_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200909-121523_Chrome.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 300
  • Screenshot_20200909-121517_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200909-121517_Chrome.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 311
Orry - it has round fenders and a cast-end deck which are a definite plus, but condition looks pretty rough. I'd definitely negotiate DOWN from the posted price.

Kendal - if you looked closely you would see the tractor with deck are $350 and the weights are an additional $75.

Orry - that's actually a pretty good price for non-IH (actually JD weights). (I see them usually sell for at least $150 or even more). Not sure what you're planning to do with the tractor. You may not even need weights, or you may want to keep it all original IH.

Thank you everyone for your inputs. Well I'm kinda looking for a tractor for my grandpa for a gift. He was really excited when I brought the 124 home and it seemed like he would like to have one. He has worked on mowers and GTs all his life so I think he would enjoy having one. But I'm not sure he would want one that he has to put a lot of money into. He is a little older man but that doesn't stop him from doing stuff which is good. He is retired so he may enjoy a project but I think I'd like to get him one that may be in better shape.

Well Orry, better shape almost certainly means better (more) money. I would'a tried to get it for $250. It is a classic tractor with round fenders, and the fenders by themselves often sell for between $150-200. You're really not paying awhole lot for the basic tractor if you consider that and if you happen to get it for $250.

Now, I can understand you might be hesitant because of the engine being 7hp, but that's a big part of what makes it a classic.

Personally, the 1863 is the only one I'd consider to actually do work with. You can get a Cat-0 3 point for it. Actually using it is night and day more comfortable than any of the old stuff. Parts are readily available. Only real downside to it is the plastic hood and side panels (and appearance depending on your proclivities). The decks on them are fairly modern and do a pretty good job.

582 is alright, but gear drive and manual lift. That'd be my second choice.

Just to putter around with? Any of them are fine. It's all just personal preference anyway.

Back