• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Dave S. 149/DanCo loader rehab project.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Les and I got started the other evening removing the loader from the 149. Began by labeling all the hoses and took these photos to aid in reassembly when the time comes.

318150.jpg

318151.jpg

318152.jpg

318153.jpg

A few more of the frame still on the Cub.

318160.jpg

318161.jpg

318162.jpg

Got the engine out. Glad I went this route, looks as though the driveshaft to engine coupler needs replaced. The pin was in 2 pieces!

318163.jpg

Great start, Dave! Thanks for taking the time away from the "actual project" to take and post pics.
happy.gif

Dave,

Does the loader subframe extend all the way to the rear axle? If not, now is the time to add some bracing to get it there. You will notice a huge difference in frame stiffness and will do less damage to the tractor in the long run if used for heavy loader work (let's face it, with GT loaders, EVERYTHING is heavy loader work!!!).

318165.jpg

318166.jpg

Steve, Yes it does. A massive mandrel bent like 3" heavy wall tube. Was going to post some more pictures but have run into problems w/posting for some reason. Perhaps the mods can delete the ones that won't load?? Looks like 3 is all I can upload per post?? Too big or what??

Glad I went this route. The driveshaft pin was I two pieces but cannot escape due to the surrounding loader pump pulley..
And here's The expected mess behind the flywheel shroud.

318172.jpg

318173.jpg

318174.jpg

More cleaning. I painted the SP mark white after cleaning it up w/the wire brush. Going to pull the rest of the steering today and go through it. Wish I had a three turn unit. Have a 1" spindled axle waiting in the wings for this rig.

318181.jpg

318182.jpg

318183.jpg

Dave,

Glad to hear that!!!!

Worked on the steering this AM.
Cam follower stud don't look too bad for being on a loader rig. I expected much worse. AQ 1/4 turn from the pictured position snugged everything up nicely after cleaning, repacking and adding the super steer bearing update.

318196.jpg

David - hey, yes there is usually a little plug in that timing mark site hole on the backing plate. It's the same style/kind of plug you find on the dash of a 1x8/9 (where it says lighter or lift) but the plug is painted yellar.

<font size="+2">HEY David - </font> glad I got back on here before someone else. I was wrong in my post below about a plug for the backing plate. The plug was only used on the tin shroud cover timing hole. Not the backing plate hole.

I gotta quite answering questions on here. I ain't in the game enough anymore to really recall stuff like I used to.

David you can make the tractor steer a lot easier if you put a needle thrust bearing between bottom of the axle and spindle. You have take material off the top of the axle so the needle bearing will fit. Did that on a 154 with loader and when done you could steer it with one hand when moving and a good load on bucket.

That's a great idea, but...
There are 2 grease grooves/slots on the bottom of the axles. Won't that bearing get torn up by them?
I have a 1' spindle unit ready to install and added the grease fitting tie rod ends as well as the drag link ends.

David you have to use the hardened washers that go with the needle bearing see Motion industries. The grease notches will grease the needle bearing.

Got 'em Steve!
The axle is at the machine shop now and the frame is at the sandblaster, I may as well make it look good while I'm at it.

Rear end is draining and awaiting cleanup & paint.
Will be making a visit to the hydraulic shop soon for all new hoses and fittings to replace the old petrified originals and rusty fittings.

The rest of my parts I need for it should be here soon from Charlie.

318333.jpg

Oooo, fresh yellow paint and a nice trunion repair. David, you do nice work. I agree with Mike, that's gonna look great.

Back