• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Custom 3-Point Hitch for my Cub 108

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayF

displayname
Baker6x6
This was the last project I started to build for my 108, before the Camshaft broke way back in 2008.
I wanted to add a 3-point hitch, so I could pull around a garden cart, utility trailer, and my boat. I designed and built this, taking cues from an OEM type sleeve hitch.
I had some nice steel in my stock to build it with. I changed the design a few times, when I wasn't getting the lift and versatility I wanted.

I began by fabricating a "copy" of the original sleeve hitch and lifting rod. It was made from some thick-wall square tubing, and thick wall round tube inserted inside. It's probably waaaay overbuilt, but it's what I had handy.

DSC07499.JPG

Here, I built the lower pivot bracket and arms. There are 3 holes for height-adjustment, and the wide arms are parallel to the ground when at resting position. I also built (2) upper lifting arms, but they limited the lifting height, so I redesigned them and ended up using only (1) mounted lower on the rear axle cover.

DSC07504.JPG

Here is the redesigned upper arm (more lift), and Pivot-plate for the lower arms. The Pivot Plate allows the hitches to remain parallel to the ground throughout the lifting range.

DSC07515.JPG

My original plan was to mount a square receiver tube- so I could use a trailer ball style insert. I likely will not add that, and just drill and mount an 1 7/8" ball.

DSC07516.JPG

That was as far as I got in 2008, so I finished it up at the shop today (only 12 years later) . I built a lifting sleeve and chains to go over the lifting rod. The lifting chains are asymmetrical, so I can install it in either direction- to change the lifting geometry. I also moved the original hitch-plate to the new pivot-plate.

20200427_233112.jpg
20200427_233137.jpg

Total lifting range is 10" (8" from the ground to 18" lifted height). It can go to 22", by slipping the sleeve further out on the Rod, and locking it in place with the lock-bolt. This takes up the little bit of slack in the chains at rest. It can lift until the upper arm hits the body. At full lift, I (all 196#) was able to stand on the pivot plate. I bounced a bit -and it was strong and stable.

Attachments

• 3-PH.jpg
    3-PH.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 301
  • Rear4.jpg
    Rear4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 259
Fantastic! Exactly what I want to build.

Can I ask, why is the upper arm off center rather than being centered?

Did you make parts D-C and H?

Can I ask, why is the upper arm off center rather than being centered?
it's offset for clearance. So during it's lift-range it doesn't interfere with the chains or sleeve hitch.

Did you make parts D-C and H?
I made everything...
C/D was not needed on my tractor, the deck-lift arm had available holes for the "H" bar
For "H", I used a 5/8" steel rod with clevices on either end.

Sorry, one more question....could the off set arm be attached to the tractors frame rather than the transmission?
My 782 has the aluminum case and I'm concerned about stressing it.

Sure- you will just need to drop it down lower- so you have more range-of-motion.

The upper arm really doesn't hold any weight. It's all held by the Sleeve Hitch (that #3 piece). When the hitch is in the "at rest" position, the weight is on the lower arms.
When pulling- the load will be spread to all 3 points: Sleeve hitch, lower arms, and upper arm.
Unless you are pulling stumps- by going full throttle with a loose chain.... you shouldn't have any problems.

Back