• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

cub125 stubborn pto bearing

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanelr

Hi all! My cub 125 manual pto went kablooie so I bought another (thank you ebay). Got the clutch off ok but the bearing won't budge. Watched a few videos that showed driving the locking "cam" (being driven counterclockwise when viewed from the front) but I can't get it to release. The bearing is noisy and I have another or I would just leave it. And, yes I have soaked it with blaster four days in a row. Any tips?
Thanks

Hi all! My cub 125 manual pto went kablooie so I bought another (thank you ebay). Got the clutch off ok but the bearing won't budge. Watched a few videos that showed driving the locking "cam" (being driven counterclockwise when viewed from the front) but I can't get it to release. The bearing is noisy and I have another or I would just leave it. And, yes I have soaked it with blaster four days in a row. Any tips?
Thanks
Did you remove the set screw? Also, spray it real good for a day or so with PB Blaster or Kroil and add a little heat to the collar. Cub Cadet FAQ

They will LOCK in either direction when installed.
Perhaps the PO locked it by driving it CCW.
in which case it will have to be unlocked by driving it CW.
I any case, it should not unlock with much too much force.

Yes I removed setscrew, I bet the reverse assembly is what happened, will try clockwise with heat and follow up. Thanks!

They will LOCK in either direction when installed.
Perhaps the PO locked it by driving it CCW.
in which case it will have to be unlocked by driving it CW.
I any case, it should not unlock with much too much force.
Well reversed the direction and it came off in forty seconds. Ha! Was zigging when I should have zagged.

When I put the “ new” pto on do I use a rubber mallet?also do the long set screws on the pto go in first with the short ones as locknuts? Was thinking of using 3 or 4 inch plastic pipe as a knocker on perimeter of pto....

There should be two types of setscrew, one with a cone point and one with a flat point. The cone point one goes in first the flat point one goes in second as a jam screw.

72, 1x4, 1x5_106a.jpg

When I put the “ new” pto on do I use a rubber mallet?also do the long set screws on the pto go in first with the short ones as locknuts? Was thinking of using 3 or 4 inch plastic pipe as a knocker on perimeter of pto....

If you can - use a emery or crocus cloth ( or the finest sandpaper you might have) and polish the shaft as smooth and clean as you can. Wipe it clean and the rebuilt piece needs to slide in place, I also like to add some anti-seize before sliding it in place also put a dab on the setscrew threads, all in a attempt to make it easier should you have to remove it again later.

pto went on easily. However the replacement factory fiber wear button doesn't fit the hole- the stem part is slightly large, do I sand or file? I don't want to drill out the hole in the arm.

Interesting.. is it a factory OEM part? I'd probably use a file and sandpaper both to bring down the O.D. - just keep test fitting and try not to remove to much. I like to add a spot of silicone adhesive once it slides in... "just because", it makes me feel better. LOL.

Interesting.. is it a factory OEM part? I'd probably use a file and sandpaper both to bring down the O.D. - just keep test fitting and try not to remove to much. I like to add a spot of silicone adhesive once it slides in... "just because", it makes me feel better. LOL.
Got the wear button it at a cub dealer, tried to buy the metal one there but they claim thats not a factory part only ebay.

A small file did the trick. Do you know where the clutch pedal safety switch is located? It appears to be intermittent. Thanks

If you look down through the slot for the lift arm you should be able to see the spring steel clip that presses on the safety switch. The switch is mounted on a cross member. Here an underside view from the tiller manual. The red arrow points to the switch, the yellow arrow is pointing at the spring steel clip.

Safety Switch.jpg

Here's a view in through the lift arm slot. This is on a parts tractor and the lift arm has been removed. The red arrow is pointing at the spring clip the white arrow is pointing at the switch.

Safety Switch-2.jpg

Jumpered the switch, started right up.......and destroyed the pto fibre wear button in about a minute. Does anyone know where I can get the bronze aftermarket version?

Jumpered the switch, started right up.......and destroyed the pto fibre wear button in about a minute. Does anyone know where I can get the bronze aftermarket version?

Good News / Bad News kinda day right?.. I've heard of folks having the same experience as you. And I "think" there was an alignment issue with the release arm being off center. Once you get the new part, maybe double check the button is pretty close to being on center?? All I can think of at the moment....:cautious:

Back