• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Tires on a Model 106

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdData

Hi. Glad to have found this forum and could use some advice. I have a Cub Model 106 and currently have 23x8.5-12 tires on the rear. Would anyone know if I could mount 24x12.00 -12's or 23x10.50 -12's as a replacement? I have a new set of the 24's available from a friend and it appears I have the spacing above and inside the frame to handle the extra width and height. I currently have deep tread tires and I want to change over to a smoother turf type while gaining some height and width. My concern is if the rim could handle this larger size tire. My Cub is a bit customized as I use it for transportation only around the property more so than cutting or plowing as all attachments are missing. I appreciate you responses. Thanks, Eddy

Last edited:
Welcome, Ed. One size wider might work ok, but two sizes wider may be a stretch. We wouldn’t want a Cub Cadet looking like one of those ricer cars with the stretched tires.

There are a few threads about going to 26x12x12 tires. You might learn some insights by searching for those threads, like don’t put your fingers around a fender lip with them,... You might not have those issues with 24s. I assume someone in one of those threads will report what wheel width they used. Do you know what width yours are, or just that they are wearing 23x8.50x12s?

Thanks for the response Jim. My Cub is wearing 23x8.50x12's. The 24's are cheap but didn't know if they would fit on my rim which I believe to be stock. Sometimes with auto tires the wider width can't be handled by the rim because of the bulge. I'll look at the previous threads as recommended.

Ed - the height of a 24x12x12 tire should not be an issue to mount on your 106 and have any fender clearance issue - unless maybe you install chains. However, I really doubt you could mount 24x12x12 tires on the stock rim of a 23x8.5x12. Well, if you were able to I suspect the tire shape would be really off, maybe you would have a fender clearance issue and/or maybe you'd pop the beads running over bumps or stones, etc.

Robert mentioned he mounted 23x10.5x12's on his 147 without any problem - but that actually raises a question to me. The standard size tire on the 147 was 23x10.5x12. Did someone install the 23x8.5x12 on Robert's original 147 rims?

I looked at the CCC parts list for the 147 and a couple other tractors that have a standard 10.5 width rear tire.
It lists the "7JA-12" rim for a 23x8.5 tire and "8-1/2JA-12" for the 23x10.5 tire.
And then I looked under the CCC "Super" Garden Tractors (like the model 1872) since I know the standard size tire on this Super was 26x12x12, and the parts list identifies "Rim RR W/8.5".
And then I did some searching on the net and found some info that the 26x12x12 tire does have an 8.5" wide rim as standard.
So, it looks like a 12" width tire will fit on an 8.5" wide rim.

I'd suggest, if you really want to use your friend's 24x12x12 tires then you should probably look for a set of used original IHCC rims that have/had 23x10.5 tires. (They will probably be marked with 8-1/2JA).

Thanks Harry. I am going to pass on the 12"wides and probably go with the 23x10.5 - 12's. I took a close look, with tape measure, and I don't seem I have the room on the inside frame. Right now with the 8.50's, I have 2 inches to spare between the tire and frame. A 10.5 would add an additional inch + to each side which would work. A 12" wide would really be tight or not work with my existing mower without rubbing. My luck would be to mount one of the tires and be SOL when trying to attach. Thanks to all for the education. Great forum.

Well Eddie - you lead me to believe you were only using it for transport around your yard and no mowing since you had no attachments. I assume you would be getting the wider wheels which certainly have most of the offset towards the outside, but I still agree a 12" wide tire would likely interfere with a mowing deck. I don't know if it would rub the frame because the wheel has most of the offset towards the outside.

Back